Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Critique my single tier pump plan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Critique my single tier pump plan

I'm not quite done with the stand, but the kegs are all converted. I just placed an order for high temp tubing a a bunch of quick disconnects. The system will use a single march pump for liquid transfer which is OK since I batch sparge. I also plan to recirculate my direct fired MLT. Please critique my plan for fixed and quick disconnected hose connections.

The orange dotted line is potential connections to the input of the pump, the purple are potential connections from the output of the pump.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Looks like you've got the bases covered. What's the total on the QDs going to run? I need to get some of those!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

See! This is why I am jacked up about coming to your brewout. Just to discuss in real-time and in-person this kind of stuff. I know it's still a work-in-process, but I know that we'll both learn something!

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 11-06-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Right on Rob. Sparky, I got the brass ones from Mcmaster with silicone seals. $1.75 for the males, $7ish for the right angle females with hose barbs.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #5
Onescalerguy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It looks like you got it covered.My set-up will be smilar but i'm not recircing my mash and my BK will just go gravity fed to the fermenter(s).I made a similar diagram for figuring fitting needs.I ordered the plastic QDs from Midwest,5 males and 4 females. I'd show my diagram if i could.
Cheers

Old 11-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
Yorg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From my recent experience building something similar, I have one potentially important suggestion for you if you are using less than 1/2 inch tubing for your counterflow chiller. You are using a cfc right?
I have just moved to a whirlpool immersion chiller set up - mrmalty.com - partly because of the perceived benefits of the design in the brewing process, but mainly because my march pump couldn't push the wort through the length of my cfc.
The inside coil for the wort is 3/8.
It comes out at barely a trickle - very unsatisfactory.

Cheers.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I've been pumping through my 3/8" CFC with the pump for a few batches now and I guess I never paid any attention to the gallons per minute of it. I do have a nice IC and could easily go with a whirlpool design. There's nothing inherent in the hoses/disconnects that preclude it. In fact, I got some extra male disconnects since they're so cheap. I can see putting one on my "wort output nozzle" that creates the whirlpool. I guess I'll pay close attention to how long it takes to pump 10 gallons through the CFC and document it here.

New Stuff?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:23 AM   #8
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorg
From my recent experience building something similar, I have one potentially important suggestion for you if you are using less than 1/2 inch tubing for your counterflow chiller. You are using a cfc right?
I have just moved to a whirlpool immersion chiller set up - mrmalty.com - partly because of the perceived benefits of the design in the brewing process, but mainly because my march pump couldn't push the wort through the length of my cfc.
The inside coil for the wort is 3/8.
It comes out at barely a trickle - very unsatisfactory.

Cheers.
Something's not right here. Sounds like your pump isn't fully primed. I recirculate through my CFC (3/8") and you can't see any slow down in the flow rate.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:46 AM   #9
e lo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Probably a dumb question -- why do you need output from the pump to go to the valve at the bottom of your MLT? Aren't you going to be adding to the top of the MLT, rather than through the manifold?

Old 11-07-2007, 02:16 AM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Not a dumb question. I actually made that link thinking it would be an easy way to pump batch sparge water in from the HLT. Then I drew in the connection to the top of the MLT for the recirculation and realized that's how I'd get the HLT water in and just forgot to remove that link.

New Stuff?

Quick Reply