The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Create gallon markings on a brewpot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
TheH2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Create gallon markings on a brewpot?

Is there a way to mark the inside of a brewpot with gallon markings. I bought my brewpot on the internet and didn't realize it didn't have the gallon markings (thought it was standard). I thought I would be able to keep track of the mash/sparge runnings but I lost track quite quickly. Having markings in my pot would help, so instead of remembering how much wort comes out of my mash tun, all I have to do is remember how much comes out after the five gallon marking.

I thought about marking it with a sharpie, but figured that would wear off in a stainless steel pot? Any ideas/suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Mark your brew spoon in half gallon increments as you fill it up. I'm not sure how long it will last with a sharpie, but I use a yard stick that has been notched and it works great for any keg I have as a measuring tool.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 07-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
Mark your brew spoon in half gallon increments as you fill it up. I'm not sure how long it will last with a sharpie, but I use a yard stick that has been notched and it works great for any keg I have as a measuring tool.
That's what I did...I tired scratching the inside of mine, but gave up. Doing my spoon was much easier.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yep, in the brewery I learned this technique, lol. We had a wooden curtain rod notched with gallon setting that worked great in that huge kettle. I just had to transfer that to my home brewery. I even use it when cleaning kegs, just dip and check in that tiny Sanke hole, lol.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 07-27-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How much does temperature affect water volume? Has anyone calibrated their notched measuring stick for different temperatures? I made mine when ground water was 80 degrees. It's a little cooler than that in the winter (maybe 70 degrees). But I measure the post-mash pre-boil runnings to calculate mash efficiency, and that is a much higher temperature than my baseline measurement temperature of 80 degrees. How much off would a volume measurement at 150 degrees be compared to 80?

Old 07-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
How much does temperature affect water volume? Has anyone calibrated their notched measuring stick for different temperatures? I made mine when ground water was 80 degrees. It's a little cooler than that in the winter (maybe 70 degrees). But I measure the post-mash pre-boil runnings to calculate mash efficiency, and that is a much higher temperature than my baseline measurement temperature of 80 degrees. How much off would a volume measurement at 150 degrees be compared to 80?

That's just a wee bit too anal for me to be concerned about...

I'm only really using it to guestimate the volume of wort in the kettle after I've drained my mashtun and sparged, to see if I need anymore...and to see just how much loss I have post boil....

For anything that requires any measure of accuracy I use measuring cups.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
Bytor1100
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I used this to make a measuring stick out of aluminum. You might be able to use it directly on your pot as well.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=35121

30 Gallons - Malty Moe APA

Old 07-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

The graph on this page shows approximately 4% difference between room temperature water volume and boiling water volume. So, for a 6.5 gallon boil, the volume difference is ~1 qt. To me, that's pretty negligible, but it could be significant for a more anal brewer.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hmmmmm. Now I guess I'll have to work up a temperature-volume sliderule dipstick for accurate measurements at various temps.

Seriously, I think a quart at 6.5 gallons and approaching half a gallon for a 12 gallon batch is significant enough to make it worthwhile to at least calibrate a stick at two temps... average groundwater temperature and mash runnings temp. Or at least correct for the difference on paper.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used a dremel to mark the 7 gallon level and the 5.5 gallon level. Make sure you have your immersion chiller in place when you mark your finished level.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

LoloMT7 Likes This 

Quick Reply