Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Crankandstein 2D, Barley Crusher 15, or Monster Mill MM-2. That's the question!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
reddskinnfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Crankandstein 2D, Barley Crusher 15, or Monster Mill MM-2. That's the question!

Hi all and thanks in advance for any insight you are able to provide!

I am in the market for a Malt Mill and I am seriously looking at the Crankandstein 2D, the Barley Crusher 15, and the Monster Mill MM-2.

The Crankandstein 2D w/Base & Hopper (9 lb capacity) is $160 including shipping.

The Barley Crusher w/Base & Hopper (15 lb capacity) is $156 including shipping.

The Monster Mill MM-2 w/Base & Hopper (11 lb capacity) is $155 including shipping.

I like them all, and know that people have good things to say about them all, however, I am looking for some real world info to help me decide.

If any of you have any of these models, I would appreciate if you could drop a line with this info.

1) What do you have your adjustment set at? (.030, .035, .040, .045)

2) What efficiency are you getting with this setting? (70%, 75%, 80%)

3) Are you batch sparging or fly sparging?

4) How long have you had it, how many lbs of grain have you crushed with it, and is it showing any wear?

5) Did you buy a hopper/base with yours, or did you create your own? If you created your own, PLEASE post a pic of your setup?

I know this is a lot of questions, however, I never go into something without working out all of the details. I am also considering buying a better quality mill from Crankandstein or Monster Mill (like a 3-roller model) if I can find a hopper/base setup that would work for me, and drawings to create it.

I appreciate any help that you all are able to provide.

Thanks,

Mike

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER."

Fryer Tuck - Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves

Kegged: Lemon Pepper Saison
Fermenter: Dry Cider
On Deck: Rye IIPA, Nugget Nectar Clone, Nut Brown Ale
In the near future: Irish Red, Witbier, Steam Beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #2
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3168 Times on 3073 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Barley Crusher w/ 7lb hopper. It's the same mill with a smaller hopper...

88%

Batch Sparge

4) How long have you had it, how many lbs of grain have you crushed with it, and is it showing any wear?

year and a half

5) Did you buy a hopper/base with yours, or did you create your own? If you created your own, PLEASE post a pic of your setup?

Bought with the hopper.

I've been stirring during the infusion rest and my effiecncy has gone through the roof. I'm getting close the 10% better. YMMV.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #3
Elshauno
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I was considering the same mills 2 weeks ago and went with the Monster mill. I just liked the heavy duty look of it with the hopper. It also have the most surface area of rollers of all the 3. Ive only crushed 13 pounds thus far and set my gap to .41 and must say its pretty sweet. I got it with the base and the hopper and plan on mounting it to a shelf in the near future. Utilize the search option and you will find able information about all the mills as well as motorizing your mill if you so choose. You cant go wrong with any mill that you listed they are all very nice and will serve you well for years to come.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:24 AM   #4
reddskinnfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Thanks for the detailed reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
Barley Crusher w/ 7lb hopper. It's the same mill with a smaller hopper...

88%

Batch Sparge

year and a half

Bought with the hopper.

I've been stirring during the infusion rest and my effiecncy has gone through the roof. I'm getting close the 10% better. YMMV.
That was very helpful! Wow, 88% from the Barley Crusher. I believe that is the highest I have heard of so far.

By the by, where can I get Feelers from? Would Home Depot have them?

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER."

Fryer Tuck - Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves

Kegged: Lemon Pepper Saison
Fermenter: Dry Cider
On Deck: Rye IIPA, Nugget Nectar Clone, Nut Brown Ale
In the near future: Irish Red, Witbier, Steam Beer

Old 01-05-2010, 04:22 AM   #5
boogyman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddskinnfan View Post
That was very helpful! Wow, 88% from the Barley Crusher. I believe that is the highest I have heard of so far.

I just bought a set of feeler gauges from kragen auto (checkers, etc..) for $5.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:45 AM   #6
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 364 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I use the barley crusher in my store. I have opened the gap a tad .40 and spin it @ about 1200 RPM. I have had the grain mill for 4 1/2 years before I opened the store 6 months ago. I have crushed about 1.5 ton, yes I said ton through it in 6 months & it is still going strong. They are a good mill. I just wish they would work w/ the retailers a bit better. I do have a few problems running it at that speed, sometimes it doesn’t want to "grab" the grain and it just spins without actually pulling any grain through. A good whack! On the base with my fist and it always seems to start. I am actually in the market for another mill for the store and am thinking about going w/ the Monster Mill 2.5.
Just my .02
Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

Old 01-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3168 Times on 3073 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:

I picked my set up at AutoZone for under $5. They're the cheap spark plug gap feelers.

You have to remember that there are a lot of factors for efficiency. Equipment, water chemistry, and process matter much more that crush. Out of the box I was getting 78%.

The mill is showing no wear and I blow it out with the air compressor after using it. It's as clean as the day I received it. Black roasted 500L tends to color the rollers a bit but it cleans right off with compressed air.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

1200 rpm sounds really fast. I thought you would want to target under 500? I use the BC at about 250, with a geared drill, and .036 which is just a bit tighter than factory. I am doing malt conditioning now and the crush is fluffy and not dusty, the rollers stay clean.
The BC is not as robust as the MM or crankenstien but it does the job just fine, and fits right on a bucket. My friend bought a MM 3 roller, it weighs a ton.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a 7# BC at the factory settings and get 82-86% using a batch sparge. I've had it about a year and it still looks/works like new.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
It would be helpful to specify which "efficiency" you'd like to know about. For example, with my barley crusher gap set at 0.028in running at 170rpm I get 86% mash efficiency and 82% brewhouse efficiency for beers <= 1.070sg.

I wet mill and batch sparge as well...But, I'll start fly sparging on my new rig soon, so I'm sure my efficiency improve for higher gravity beers.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Quick Reply