Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > crankandstein 2d or 3d

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
FiveKaiBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default crankandstein 2d or 3d

I am ready to pull the trigger on a crankandstein mill. want stainless rollers.

but i cant decide between the 3 roller 3d or 2 roller 2d.

from what i understand the 3 roller can be a pain in the ass to get going with a regular drill and needs a bigger one with more power?? BUT gets a better crush and separates the husk more efficiently...

any input on what you would choose?

FYI i use alot of wheat if that makes any difference.

http://www.crankandstein.net/index.p...products_id=13

http://www.crankandstein.net/index.p...products_id=11

Bene+dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Amity
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got a 2s (the cheapest, basic model) and have achieved 90%+ effeciency with it on factory settings.

Save your money.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a 3d that I motorized on a cart and its great... I get in the high 80's for brewhouse efficiency... didn't bother with the SS rollers though, but if you are going to spend the money why not get the 3 roller?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
FiveKaiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityBrewer View Post
I have a 3d that I motorized on a cart and its great... I get in the high 80's for brewhouse efficiency... didn't bother with the SS rollers though, but if you are going to spend the money why not get the 3 roller?

If i have to motorize the 3d then thats a deal breaker. I have a 18 volt lithium ion drill and another corded drill so thats what i want to use.

Bene+dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen

Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
FiveKaiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityBrewer View Post
the 3d is 80 bucks more... i want to make sure its worth the extra dough!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 AM   #6
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveKaiBrewing View Post
the 3d is 80 bucks more... i want to make sure its worth the extra dough!
Save the $80 and get the 2 roller version. It can produce grist equal to any home brew mill regardless of the number or size of the rollers. Any of the commonly available roller type home brew malt mills can do the same.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
Budzu
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

I have an mm3 2.0. I used a 1/2 hp motor on it, with pulleys taking it down to 230 rpm. The massive motor will NOT start the mill with any grain in the hopper.
Just putting that out there. I still appreciate the crush speed and quality, which is just awesome.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
FiveKaiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budzu View Post
I have an mm3 2.0. I used a 1/2 hp motor on it, with pulleys taking it down to 230 rpm. The massive motor will NOT start the mill with any grain in the hopper.
Just putting that out there. I still appreciate the crush speed and quality, which is just awesome.
wow thats nuts. and I think iread somewhere that a guy was using a hand crank on a crankenstein 3 roller.... i dont think that is a good idea.

well i guess i might go for the 2 roller as i dont really want ot make a pulley and motor setup for my mill. i want it to be easy to use and not a complicated build.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
Budzu
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Just to clarify, the motor runs it fine as long if it is started empty. A few times it has misfed and required me to let motor bog down, then manually hand turn the driven pulley to get it started. Dangerous...

Old 03-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
FiveKaiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

pulled the trigger on the crankandstein 2d stainless with hopper. i plan on conditioning my malt so the 3 roller is not needed. and also after seeing the motor and wormgear or pulley system i needed todrive the 3 roller.... ill stick with my trusty hand drill and keep things simple. thanks to all for your input. Don at crankandstein took his time describing his product and giving me info.

Quick Reply