Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > A couple hopstopper ideas with my turkey fryer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
mr x
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default A couple hopstopper ideas with my turkey fryer

I bought a 35 qt. turkey fryer for brewing, and was looking around for ideas for trub and hops separation.

My first idea was to use a pizza screen as a press (like a bodum coffee press), isolate the hops and other undesirables, and siphon from above the screen. I should be able to get a fairly snug fit by using some sliced 1/4 teflon tubing around the edge of the screen for a seal.

The fryer came with a perforated basket. I then got thinking about lining this with some fine screen and leaving it in for my boil, then lifting everything out in one pull.

Has anyone tried any of these methods before?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I like the second idea but it's gonna be a pain to clean. You could use hop bags. You'll still have break material but it's nothing like all the hop sludge you get from pellets.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr x
The fryer came with a perforated basket. I then got thinking about lining this with some fine screen and leaving it in for my boil, then lifting everything out in one pull.

Has anyone tried any of these methods before?
I'm doing that for my MLT. I figure it'll help me extract more wort from the grains and make clean up a lot easier.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I like the second idea but it's gonna be a pain to clean. You could use hop bags. You'll still have break material but it's nothing like all the hop sludge you get from pellets.
I don't think it should be too bad, the whole unit can be upside down and rinsed clean from the outside.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

The only thing I'd be concerned with is trapping wort from circulating during the boil. If you get an area of stagnation under your filter, you'll scorch badly.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, that is a concern. The basket sits right on the bottom of the pot. There is very little space (maybe two millimeters around the outside), but I'll have to think about that. The basket holes are slightly smaller than a dime, and would be covered with mesh.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

That size pot is still small enough to pick up and pour through a strainer. That might be easier.

New Stuff?

Old 06-17-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's possible too. I wanted to siphon it through my chiller, but I've still got a few options. I could use some standoffs with the basket and get rid of a good portion of hops, whirlpool the rest and siphon the wort through my chiller, let it drop through a strainer to filter the rest and aerate. Or drop the basket altogether. I picked up a couple pizza pans cheap, and I may try the press option.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

You plan on using a copper or stainless racking cane right? Don't try a plastic one.

You've got a counterflow or plate chiller?

New Stuff?

Old 06-17-2007, 08:10 PM   #10
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

I've tried several things. The thing that works the best, with both a kettle you're going to siphon from or a kettle with a pickup tube is a fine mesh bag. Here's what I'm using now. You either need to use a step coupling, or put a big rubber band or something for the hose clamp to bite into.

Last edited by Lil' Sparky; 07-28-2007 at 01:15 AM.

Quick Reply