Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Counterflow Wort chiller ---- DIY vs. Just buying

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 04:55 AM   #1
Bean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Counterflow Wort chiller ---- DIY vs. Just buying

I am in the market for a counterflow wart chiller and have been looking at the pros and cons of going to the store and buying a Chillzilla or just making my version of a chiller.

My main question is about efficiency, I have been looking at the posts in the DIY section and everyone is using 25 foot runs of .5 copper tubing. But, the Chillizilla stands 10 inches from top coil to bottom coil, and 6 inches in diameter also made of .5 copper (internal.) I don't know how many feet 10 x 6 is but I am pretty sure that it way less then 25 feet

Whats the deal?!? Is convoluted copper tubing really the secret? Does one design need a pump? This is just mind boggling to me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you want to settle that mind of yours, I have an extra CFC for sale. I would love to clean one more extra item out of my shed Besides, once you have one and you see it works, you will not have to think about it any more

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 03-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
AKchill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I agree. Try one, or find someone who has one, and check out how efficient it is. As a homebrewer, I am lucky enough to also work in a hosehouse, and can make a CFC for $60 in Alaska. My LHBS is gracious enough to let me trade that to them for $100 in supplies. However, mine uses 5/16 nominal (ID) copper, and 5/8 hose outside of it. My tap runs at about 55*, and a 22' CFC puts the wort out at about 59*. I'm hoping to figure out how short it can be to make it come out at 65* at the new BREW SCIENCE FORUM! If you can make it yourself for about the same price as buying one, you should DIY just so you can appreciate what work goes into it. Oh yeah, check out Bobby_M's thread in the DIY forum. It helped me build mine.

"I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night."

-Greek Proverb

Old 03-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
ClutchDude
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For the price of one chillzilla, you could build almost 4 DIY-Chillazillas, though getting the larger diameter tubing straight enough may drive you crazy. Then bending it without insanity....yeah. Not appealing.

Anyways, there are 9 coils with ~10" diameter, so that's a ~18.84" length of copper. That's ~14' 1.5" of copper @ 1/2", so I'll let someone else figure out the surface area of a cylinder that big.

Typically, 3/8" is used for CFC's, since the 1/2" wouldn't fit in the garden hose.

A CFC is cheap + easy to make. From the internet, you can build two for chump change and make a brew friend by giving or selling one. But Deathweed's is also a good deal if you just want something.

Landed In Texas.
Primary 1: Blonde?(9/14/2013)
Primary 2: Empty
Sanke madness!
Sanke Spiral Ring Installing, Sanke Coupler diassembly, Keggle Heatshield, Sanke fitting to Soda kegs

Old 03-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
JVD_X
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well - there is also the fact that if you build it - you can repair and modify it as well because you probably have extra parts laying around. Besides, building equipment is a good way to keep busy between batches.

- JVD_X

Old 03-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The Chillus Convolutus is a fair bit cheaper than the Chillzilla. The construction is nearly identical with the exception that the inlet and outlet point in the same direction on the Chillus. Keep that in mind if you decide to buy one.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 03-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
Bean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I think that I will make my own because I do like to have the options of customizing it.

So, 3/8 and not 1/2 inch ?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2798 Times on 2745 Posts
Likes Given: 123

yep 3/8, it's gotta be able to slide through your hose. You will be totally happy with it, CFC Rock

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-08-2009, 06:03 AM   #9
Bean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

built a CFC today. But, I forgot to get the gear to hook it up to my blichmann so I couldn't test it tonight. Back to the hardware store in the morning. I'll let you know how it all goes.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #10
illnastyimpreza
Recipes 

3/8'' seems rather small...even though its counter flow... I just got 1/2'' for mine, and I thought it still didn't really have much surface area....but I'm making a standard Imersion chiller...

is a counter flow really that much more efficient ?? how much faster does it work ?

like do you rack your wert straight though the counter flow into your primary, and by the time it gets there its ready to pitch yeast ??? How long does this take ??

Primary 1: Homemade Cider
Primary 2: IPA
primary 3: empty
primary 4:empty
Kegerator: empty
bottled: Never again... I hate bottling

Primary stirrer and yeast pitcher: my Girlfriend :)

Quick Reply