The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Counterflow chiller fittings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Tok
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Counterflow chiller fittings

Hey guys. I've decided to make my own counterflow chiller, and am looking for what fittings I could find at the big box stores (home depot, lowes, menards, etc.) I'm using 20' of 3/8" copper tubing, inside 20' of 5/8" rubber hose.

One design I read on here called for a 1/2" copper tee, with a 1/2" to 1/4" copper reducer fitting. Problem is none of those stores carry a sweat fitted copper reducer of that size, they all only go down to 3/8th's.
Other problem I'm running into is the 3/8" copper tube is O.D., and the copper pipe fittings are I.D.

Could you guys tell me what fittings I could find at one of these stores, to help me get on track with this project?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 91

How about going from 1/2 to 3/8, and then to 1/4? They may have a bushing that reduces like that. Did you check Amazon?

Old 08-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Tok - I did a write up of my chiller build here. You don't want to use the sweat fittings to adapt down to your coil diameter. You want to use a modified compression fitting. Check out the write up, there are quite a few photos describing the detail.

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 08-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
cracked1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlandsailor
You don't want to use the sweat fittings to adapt down to your coil diameter. You want to use a modified compression fitting.
I wouldn't really put it that way. I used the 1/2" x 1/4" sweat fitting on mine and it works great. Many people have done it that way... But, if you really can't find them, then yes, use compression fittings. Here's another write-up for a solderless version that was done here on HBT: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/cheycos-cfc-9395/

I was going to change my signature but I ran out of clever.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Tok
Recipes 

Thanks guys.

I ended up going with a 1/2" copper tee, 1/2" sweated thread adapter, then a 1/2" to 3/8" compression fitting.

It was the least amount of parts I could come up with for what I could find locally, maybe 6 bucks for each end.

The hose is about 19 feet, but I've got really cold water and good pressure.

Now my question is using it with my 8 gal aluminum pot.

Can I just attach a rubber hose to go down the side of the pot? I'm worried about the heat just after boiling. I suppose I could buy some more copper and make a coupler attachment, but I'm trying to keep the costs down.

What do ya think?

cfc1.jpg   cfc2.jpg  

Old 08-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
MikeInMKE
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 9

As convenient as garden hose quick disconnects are, I've yet to find one that didn't substantially restrict the flow of water. Same goes for in-line shut-off valves.

So, if you find you have to run your wort through your CFC slowly in order to hit your desired pitching temp, try ditching the quick disconnects.

Primary 1: Maibock
Primary 2: Marzen (Oktoberfest)
Primary 3: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Grateful Dead Guy, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Oktoberfest, Maibock, Barnyard Brown Ale, EdWort's Robust Porter, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Mosaic APA, Moose Drool clone plus, Raging Red Irish Ale, Galaxy APA, Dead Guy clone

Old 08-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Tok
Recipes 

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I did notice the shutoff valves have a much smaller opening, which is why I didn't add one. How about the hose, I was thinking trying to add a spigot. but not sure a good way to go about it. Is there a hose that'll handle the heat?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Tok
Recipes 

Heading to the store now..

Hoping somebody can let me know what kinda hose will handle the heat right after boiling.

Will probably just pick up some vinyl hose unless I hear otherwise, but I'd sure like to know it'll be safe to use.

Thanks

Old 08-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
dyqik
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't use vinyl, it'll discolor in wort at temperature. You want silicone for flexible hose (good to 400F), or CPVC (hot water pipe) or PP for less flexible hoses. Or use a copper dipstick with the hose pushed over the end of it.

But you might find it better to fit a weldless spigot to your brew pot ASAP. The online kits are a lot cheaper for stainless than going to a local hardware store for hard to find parts.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Sweat fittings worked fine on mine. Water flows very well.

Wort In/Out

H2O In/Out

Horizocade Amber
Rochefort 7

In the Chamber:
Nada

Next Up:
Big Breasted Blonde
DavidD Likes This 

Quick Reply