The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > counter flow chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
tab3066
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default counter flow chiller

I came across an old counter flow chiller that a friend who no longer brews had sitting in his garage. I am unsure how long it has been sitting but according to him it has been at least two years since he last brewed. I'd really like to use it but am ver worried of what may be inside. Can anyone suggest a way to clean and sanitize it? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
skipper1953
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Run a mixture of hot water and Oxiclean or PBW through the chiller for a while. If you want to try scrubbing the inside, try this:

Using compressed air or water pressure, push a string through the chiller. Attach a piece of wet cloth to the string. Attach another length of string to the first string where the cloth is attached. Pull the cloth through the chiller, rinse and pull the cloth back through the other direction. For a little more abrasive action you could put some baking soda on the cloth.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Mikespunchlist
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'd sure hate to think I had to get a string through my CFWC. I figure maybe I could push a solid wire through it somehow but it would really be tough. If it were me I would #1 Blow compressed air through it to persuade the spiders out. #2 Shoot the garden hose water through it to see if anything came out. Then I would recycle boiling PBW through it and back to my boil kettle with the pump and let the acid clean it.

Quick Reply