Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Corona style grain mill at ebay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
idahobrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Corona style grain mill at ebay

Has anyone bought one of these corona style mills from this seller? Looks like a good deal, decent size hopper, are these all pretty much the same made in china corona style mills that sell on ebay? I currently buy my grain crushed from my supplier but it would be nice to buy in bulk and crush fresh grain the day of the brew.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Cast-Iro...item3374ffb07e

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pretty good price with the free shipping. Looks identical to the Corona I've had for years. I bought a mill a year ago but before that the Corona served me well. Its not as good as a crusher but it does give you the independence from store crushes and short shelf life. I still use my Corona for crushing unmalted grains that are really hard compared to malt.

Put a couple washers on each bolt that holds the turning plate, that will give you a more consistent gap.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Discount Tommy has similar for $25 free shipping...

http://www.discounttommy.com/p-189-p...-nut-mill.aspx

Old 04-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Lennie
Recipes 

I did see that neither of these has a cover over the grinding surfaces, mine has a metal cover. Not sure if this is going to result in more of a mess when you crush. YOu could probably drape a baggie over it to keep things from shooting in all directions.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
idahobrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys for the replies. I picked one up for $24.99 shipped. I'll take the advice on the washers for sure and figure out some way to keep the mess down with a plastic bag or? Gonna do some searching to see how people have their corona type mills set up. Will also do the conversion to a drill instead of hand crank. I can get a 50# bag of 2 row for about $45 shipped to my door in 24 hours so this will definately save on my brew costs in the long run.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Double bucket system is easiest. Cut a 2x4 to fit inside the bucket, cut bottom out of said bucket, screw 2x4 into said bucket, mount mill to said 2x4, drop milling bucket into another bucket to catch the grains. I drape a hand-towel over the top of mine. I took the crank "bolt" to the HW store and found the same diameter/thread pitch hex-head bolt. Drill hole in mill bucket and notch out spot for bolt and crank shaft in secondary bucket. Thread bolt into crank shaft and use hex socket in drill. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
Lennie
Recipes 

Good price on domestic malt, guess you aren't far from a maltster up there. Definitely cheaper to buy malt in bulk.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Double bucket system is easiest. Cut a 2x4 to fit inside the bucket, cut bottom out of said bucket, screw 2x4 into said bucket, mount mill to said 2x4, drop milling bucket into another bucket to catch the grains. I drape a hand-towel over the top of mine. I took the crank "bolt" to the HW store and found the same diameter/thread pitch hex-head bolt. Drill hole in mill bucket and notch out spot for bolt and crank shaft in secondary bucket. Thread bolt into crank shaft and use hex socket in drill. Done.
Very similar to what I did, but I mounted the mill low enough that I could cut a hole in the lid and the only thing that sticks out is the hopper. I also found an allen head a bit easier than hex.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #9
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahobrew View Post
I'll take the advice on the washers for sure......
Just a heads up...only some corona mills need washers if the grind is too tight from the factory...this is not a "must do". But rather an option if all you can produce is flour

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Old 04-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
idahobrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Just a heads up...only some corona mills need washers if the grind is too tight from the factory...this is not a "must do". But rather an option if all you can produce is flour
All good ideas, I'll check how well it crushes first to see if I need the washers. I saw a pic of Revvy's corona setup and it looked to be pretty easy to do and I have all the parts, including the foldgers plastic coffee container.

Quick Reply