Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Corona Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2005, 08:13 PM   #11
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I'm curious, as well. I ordered one once I heard they were adjustable. If it works well I'm definitely getting at least 50# of 2-row. I could probably utilize 10-20# of Munich without too much trouble, as well. Some wheat would be nice.

Guess I'm finally building that lofted storage in the garage...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2005, 08:21 PM   #12
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
All I can say is wow. That may well spin me into finally thinking about getting my 2 row in bulk. Interested in getting multiple opinions on how you like it. Will add that to the Holiday Wish List.

dB...I'd think twice about doing a lot of grain with it. The hopper is really small and I'm sure it would be a ton of work to handcrank much more than a few pounds of grain. I mainly got this cause it was so cheap, and every once in a while in a pinch I need a little bit of grain cracked so this would come in handy in those situations.
I plan on maybe motorizing mine, but with the hopper being so small that would need some attention too.

At any rate, it was a good price and they shipped it lightining quick. I was expecting it early next week. Got it today.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 11-11-2005, 08:24 PM   #13
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

As far as I understand, most of these can have their hopper modded with a 2L soda bottle or similar for increasing grain capacity. Seems like I've even seen someone use a plastic water carboy. 2L should be enough for 3# of grain at a time, and if it's motorized you're golden. But I agree, if I'm at the HBS buying some grain for an impending recipe, I'll go ahead and grind it there.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:08 AM   #14
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
dB...I'd think twice about doing a lot of grain with it. The hopper is really small and I'm sure it would be a ton of work to handcrank much more than a few pounds of grain. I mainly got this cause it was so cheap, and every once in a while in a pinch I need a little bit of grain cracked so this would come in handy in those situations.
I plan on maybe motorizing mine, but with the hopper being so small that would need some attention too.

At any rate, it was a good price and they shipped it lightining quick. I was expecting it early next week. Got it today.
Just found this response. Could you retrofit an electric drill for it? Hopper size is small but so is the price.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:00 AM   #15
reddog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
Just found this response. Could you retrofit an electric drill for it? Hopper size is small but so is the price.
Is there any special attachment needed to hook up a drill to speed up the grinding time?

Old 12-02-2005, 03:59 PM   #16
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

I believe all you need to do to attach a drill is screw a bolt into the shaft where the handle attaches and put a socket on your drill, but I haven't tried it.

Incidentally, it's on sale now for $12.99:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...=36689&R=36689

Old 12-15-2005, 02:12 AM   #17
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

So now that I am officially keeping this thread alive, I have 3 things to say:

1) The mill rocks, and I can only imagine what a 'real' mill would do. 11.5lbs of grain in < 30 minutes under my own power (woohoo!) with an efficiency of 79%, measurement taken in the kettle pre-boil. Pretty cheap efficiency @ $15.
2) The mill apparently is sold out, as I couldn't find it on the NT webpage any longer.
3) It's freaking cold here, and brewing was not as pleasurable as it might have been. However, it may have been motivating and assisted in cooling, contributing to a 5hr AG session on a weekday.

Good night, and good luck.

Old 12-15-2005, 03:28 PM   #18
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee
So now that I am officially keeping this thread alive, I have 3 things to say:

1) The mill rocks, and I can only imagine what a 'real' mill would do. 11.5lbs of grain in < 30 minutes under my own power (woohoo!) with an efficiency of 79%, measurement taken in the kettle pre-boil. Pretty cheap efficiency @ $15.
2) The mill apparently is sold out, as I couldn't find it on the NT webpage any longer.
3) It's freaking cold here, and brewing was not as pleasurable as it might have been. However, it may have been motivating and assisted in cooling, contributing to a 5hr AG session on a weekday.

Good night, and good luck.

SWEET!!!! I'm glad you got it to work so well!

I haven't used mine yet--I planned on doing it but my last order of grain came all crushed--even when I specified I wanted 2 lb.s uncrushed. I was goign to toast it then crush it.

Sold out, huh? Glad I got one.......
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 12-15-2005, 04:45 PM   #19
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

I'm guessing when it dropped to $12 or so it went fast. I went through probably a couple pounds of cheap 2-row to get the grind how I wanted it...it may not be consistent on a grain by grain examination, but the bottom line was that the grain was crushed and the husks plenty intact for filtering. I went ahead and marked the set screw position with a sharpie for both barley and wheat as I needed to set it finer for wheat.

I'd also like to rig up a deflector for the grinding wheels like I've seen on Coronas as I had to hold my hand cupped around the top of the grinding wheel since grains fly out in all direction, not just down.

It's still the best $-for-$ improvement I've made to my process if my efficiency wasn't a fluke, and a moderate workout to boot.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:07 PM   #20
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Out of Stock? Doh, I had this on my Christmas wish list. Hope on of my family members was one that helped reduce their stock!

Quick Reply