The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Corny Kegs - Ball or Pin Lock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
hightechlofi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Corny Kegs - Ball or Pin Lock

I am very new to homebrewing and am about to purchase some corny kegs. Any suggestions on which style to go with? Are they equivalent in availability, ease of sanitization, etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Ball locks are probably 4x more common in numbers. If you can find 12 pinlocks at less than $15 a piece, I'd go that way. Otherwise go ball lock.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Pin locks are shorter and wider, so for a given area you will be able to fit the same or fewer of them as ball locks, but never more.

Availability is heavily regional, ball locks are more available in most of the country but it might be pin locks in Texas.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree with bobby m if you can get a good deal on pin lock's get them but get at least 12 or you'll be looking for more and you probably won't find them if you want to.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I use both (pin-locks for carbonating/secondary for lagers, ball-locks for everything else). I always serve from ball-locks due to the space issue remilard mentioned (6 ball-locks fit perfectly in my 7 cu ft Magic Chef keezer). I don't find either one that much easier to sanitize than the other but the poppets on my pin-locks don't come out easily, usually they do for ball-locks (but not all models).

One thing I would do differently if I could go back and do it all again is to try and get all the same kind of kegs. I don't like the older kegs that use plastic IN dip tubes (or 'racetrack' lids either) and for whatever reason I prefer the Cornelius-brand kegs but that's just based on my limited experience with some of the different types.

Regardless, when you get the kegs fully disassemble them, clean them extremely well, and replace all the o-rings. When cleaned right, you should be able to seal the keg for a while and then open it up and get NO funky odors.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 02-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3093 Times on 3015 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Ball locks (Pepsi) are more available right now because Pepsi finished phasing out syrup delivery in corny kegs later than Coke (pin lock).

You'll also find that ball lock rebuild parts are more available for mostly the same reason. Either way, get a few because they will only be getting more and more rare.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would highly recommend pin locks. Why? More ball locks for me.

BTW, has anyone ever seen the "ball" on a ball lock keg?

Old 02-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
Whut

Recipes 

Liked 1623 Times on 1524 Posts
Likes Given: 8548

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I would highly recommend pin locks. Why? More ball locks for me.

Agree. The fewer people I have to compete with the better. And yes, the ball lock is under the thinga majig and right next to the what'cha macallit!

All kidding aside, as posted already ball lock are more readily available.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
hightechlofi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input guys, I think I am sold on ball-lock due to the availability issues mentioned above. There is a guy in houston who is selling reconditioned (sanitized, new orings, etc) for $25ea. I know they can be found cheaper, but the sanitizing, oring replace ment is done on these. Is this a good deal, yea or nea?

Old 02-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
mmb
FNG

Recipes 

Liked 3093 Times on 3015 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Yah, it's in the quick disconnect. Actually, there are three balls in the disconnect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightechlofi View Post
Thanks for the input guys, I think I am sold on ball-lock due to the availability issues mentioned above. There is a guy in houston who is selling reconditioned (sanitized, new orings, etc) for $25ea. I know they can be found cheaper, but the sanitizing, oring replace ment is done on these. Is this a good deal, yea or nea?
It's a good price for a rebuilt keg that is guaranteed to hold pressure. Sanitizing, eh, you'll do that again anyway when you fill it. I'd go $25 for guaranteed pressure and new orings.

Quick Reply