Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Corny Keg as Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
cd2448
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Corny Keg as Secondary?

I've noticed a few times people have mentioned using corny kegs as secondaries. I appreciate that fermentation is for the most part done, but wouldn't you need an airlock for this? Or can you use the pressure release on the keg once in a while to reduce pressure that builds up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I purge with co2 and then seal the keg. From there I release almost all the pressure. I keep the release valve shut and vent it every couple days. You won't build up much pressure in there, but I like some to blanket the top...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 12-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1058 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you do build up too much pressure, you've racked it way too soon. However, even if you do end up with 20 psi, it's not a big deal at all. No harm in half carbing while you clear except for the fact that you'll lose a lot of it when you rack over to the serving keg unless you do it under counterpressure. This works really well if you take the bottom 1/4" off the dip tubes.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 12-19-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So I'd have to rack from 2ndary corny to serving corny if I was kegging? Hmmm. I was wondering if I could serve out of the 2ndary corny. Because I am lazy.

I see kegs in my future, seems inevitable, really. That and all grain, growing your own hops, blah blah.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2448
So I'd have to rack from 2ndary corny to serving corny if I was kegging? Hmmm. I was wondering if I could serve out of the 2ndary corny. Because I am lazy.

I see kegs in my future, seems inevitable, really. That and all grain, growing your own hops, blah blah.
Yeah you can serve from the secondary corny but you'll lose like 1-2 pints to sediment. Not the big of a deal IMO...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 12-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2448

That's what I do. Use the secondary as a serving cornie.

But I do not lose 1-2 pints.

In my experience I only draw about 8-10 oz. that have sediment. Maybe I'm
doing a better job racking I don't know. But after that 8-10 oz. my beer is clear.
But either way you'll lose a little either by racking to a 2nd keg or by tossing a beer or 2 away. But by using the cornie as a secondary and serving keg it's 1 less thing to clean and sanitize.

I haven't cut anything off the dip tube but I suspect the effect would be the same. Rather than have 8-10 oz that I'd throw away I'd have 8-16 oz. I could not get.

You do need to be careful about moving the keg around because there will be some sediment in the bottom. If I intend to take the keg to a party then I would rack to a 2nd keg to keep from resuspending the sediment.

The really great thing is you can rack from the secondary without exposing your beer to oxygen. You can use co2 pressure to rack upwards, no need for gravity. Plus using the secondary as a serving keg you never expose you beer to oxygen except during the rack from the primary

Quick Reply