Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Copper vs stainless steel chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
optaka
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Copper vs stainless steel chiller

Is there much of a difference? I assume theoretically the copper is a little more efficient and the stainless is a little more durable? Is there much practical difference between them or just a matter or preference?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

The main plus for stainless steel is it doesn't corrode. Copper develops verdigris, which needs to be cleaned off before using. In terms of efficiency, it hardly matters.

Copper is cheaper and easier to shape.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Copper is cheaper and easier to shape.
That pretty much sums it up right there especially if you want 1/2" tubing stainless is pretty pricey.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Depends on the type of chiller you're looking for. For an IC, copper can be easier to form, and cheaper. For a CFC, stainless can be better since it will be more durable. Personally, I enjoy the compact form of a plate chiller (which is stainless steel). I did use an IC when I started brewing, but quickly graduated to a plate chiller.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 08-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

If you are strictly considering an immersion chiller then go with the copper as it transfers hot/cold more efficiently and is less expensive. It can also just be added at the end of the boil to sanitize it for a few minutes or so.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
RoughandReadyRanch
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Mash View Post
That pretty much sums it up right there especially if you want 1/2" tubing stainless is pretty pricey.
Easier to shape yes. But cheaper???? Not lately! I got my 50' SS IC for about $70 shipped. I priced out making a copper, and buying a copper all over the web and the reality is SS was cheaper at this given point. Try looking at Ebay. I think it was NY brewing supply or something like that. Pretty cheep SS in comparison. I would have gladly bought Copper had it been cheap premade or build it yourself. I am kicking myself for not paying more and getting a plate chiller though as all the brew structure builds seem to build them into the structure. Wife would complain a lot less if space consumption (as well as personal consumption) were less.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Duda Diesel has chillers that start out cheaper than what you spent. Of course, they range to a couple/few times what you spent too. This is the one I purchased, which seriously kicks ass. I got it with the NPT fittings on the wort side, and installed CamLock fittings on it.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 09-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
optaka
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I live in a tiny apartment so a plate chiller would be nice to save on space, but I only do 5 gallon batches (again, small apartment) and I may drop down to smaller BIAB batches just to experiment more. Also, I have a relatively cheap brew kettle with no false bottom and no spigot so plate chiller wouldn't really work for me. Leaning towards an immersion chiller from NY brewing supply http://www.nybrewsupply.com/wort-chi...e_adapter.html (thanks RoughandReadyRanch for pointing out the site) The stainless is a tiny bit cheaper and I am almost wondering if I should just get the 50' for $20ish more.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:26 AM   #9
RoughandReadyRanch
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Duda Diesel has chillers that start out cheaper than what you spent. Of course, they range to a couple/few times what you spent too. This is the one I purchased, which seriously kicks ass. I got it with the NPT fittings on the wort side, and installed CamLock fittings on it.
Cheaper then who paid? $100 more then the IC I got! Wish I had that extra hundred though.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #10
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughandReadyRanch View Post
Cheaper then who paid? $100 more then the IC I got! Wish I had that extra hundred though.
They have other models... That start at far less than the one I picked. They start at just under $60.

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply