Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cooling paddles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
HomebrewJeff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
You fill it with water, freeze it and then just stir. Seems like you could just starsan it.

I bought a new kettle that's too big to fit in my sink and I wasn't looking forward to messing with a chiller. I might pick one of these up before my next brew and see how it works.
Hmm... it's rated for 190f, so how are you going to get the wort from 212-190 without a chiller?

Also, what size kettle do you have, or rather how much wort are you going to chill with these things? I suspect it will work, it will be a slow process though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post

Plus, I don't know how a frozen pop bottle would do at 190F.
Didn't think about that. Yeah, probably not a bad idea to try for $20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomebrewJeff View Post
Hmm... it's rated for 190f, so how are you going to get the wort from 212-190 without a chiller?
You should lose 20 degrees at that high of a temp just by turning off the burner. The first few degrees peel right off, it's the last few that are a real pain!

Old 07-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
albannach
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, soda bottles are made from PET (#1), their max safe temp is 120F, so they would only work for final cooling, or down to lagering pitch temps.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #14
Beard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do the same thing but just using soda bottles (Peel the label to sanitize, fill with salt and water, freeze). Drop your temperature with tap water a bit then add the soda bottles . I can chill about 3 gallons of wort in 10-15 min no problem (no full boils yet). Also no off flavors from the plastic getting too hot.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #15
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomebrewJeff View Post

Also, what size kettle do you have, or rather how much wort are you going to chill with these things? I suspect it will work, it will be a slow process though.
These are made for restaurants where they'll need to chill 5-10 gallons of soup in a short period of time. They claim "in minutes". How many minutes, I'll have to find out. I'll probably be doing it with a little under 5 gallons.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 07-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #16
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Even though I use a chiller, these could greatly accelerate the process. I like the cheapness, ease of cleaning / sanitizing and simplicity, too....no moving parts, if you don't count the ice water sloshing around in there.
OTOH, on the down side, I'm not really sure how far one of the two-quart ones would take you. I'd think the gallon size would be pretty hard to move around. I'm thinking it might be REALLY nice to use in conjunction with a wort chiller, take you those last 15 degrees that seem to take forever....

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #17
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
Even though I use a chiller, these could greatly accelerate the process. I like the cheapness, ease of cleaning / sanitizing and simplicity, too....no moving parts, if you don't count the ice water sloshing around in there.
OTOH, on the down side, I'm not really sure how far one of the two-quart ones would take you. I'd think the gallon size would be pretty hard to move around. I'm thinking it might be REALLY nice to use in conjunction with a wort chiller, take you those last 15 degrees that seem to take forever....
Yeah, we'll have to see how it works. I'll probably get the smaller once since I'm not doing full boils, but it could give us a baseline. If the small one takes 4 gallons down to pitching temp really quickly, it might be worth someone who does 5 or 10 gallon full boils to try out a larger one. I'll give it the first try.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 07-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #18
ssleeper
Recipes 

I was thinking of using the same thing until I checked their site and found the following listed for the Rapi-Kool plus series

San Jamar - Smart | Safe | Sanitary

"Helps to rapidly chill food through the temperature danger zone (135°F (57°C) to 70°F (21°C) in 2 hours, then to 41°F (5°C) within 4 hours."

They don't list what volume that is for but still seems like it might be a problem

Old 07-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #19
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssleeper View Post
"Helps to rapidly chill food through the temperature danger zone (135°F (57°C) to 70°F (21°C) in 2 hours, then to 41°F (5°C) within 4 hours."
I'm pretty sure that quote is just the typical food safety guideline, not a statement of how quickly their product works. Those times are the maximums that food is allowed to spend in the given temperature ranges. I'm betting the Rapi-Kool works faster than that as long as you use one that's properly sized.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #20
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yermej View Post
I'm pretty sure that quote is just the typical food safety guideline, not a statement of how quickly their product works. Those times are the maximums that food is allowed to spend in the given temperature ranges. I'm betting the Rapi-Kool works faster than that as long as you use one that's properly sized.
That's what I was thinking. I can't imagine it taking this long. Sticking the pot in an ice bath (what we did at the restaurant i worked at) cooled faster than that, and these are supposed to cool much faster than an ice bath. That's the whole point of the product.

I'm getting one. Will test it. In the next few weeks when I brew again.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply