Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Coolers for Mash Tun?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
WillWyn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Coolers for Mash Tun?

I have a brewing friend who doesn't like the idea of using plastic coolers for mash tuns because of possibility of plastic compounds leaching into the mash from the heat of the water. Any thoughts on this? Are coolers made of food grade plastic?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah. Your friend is jealous! Seriously, a TON of people (me included) use these for Mash tuns, and apparently have been for years.

The plastic is HDPE (food grade).
It retains heat wonderfully without external sources.
Oh yeah, did I mention that it was cheap? With a valve, you are probably looking between $50-75.

As for plastic leaching, remember that the mash is only in there for an hour or so. Even BetterBottles are PET plastic and fine for fermenting in.

Does your friend ever drink bottled water or soda from a plastic bottle

Old 11-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

+1 on plastic coolers. I have HERMS built out of plastic coolers and I have used these coolers for oh, two years.... I have never experienced anything strange with my brews. Id say they actually taste better than most I have tasted from SS kettle brew systems!

Old 11-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

We have pretty much put that leeching myth to bed.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Sleep tight... sweet dreams

Old 11-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3152 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 165

They use these coolers for holding coffee as well as cold products. I've been on Red Cross calls that we use the 5G and 10G coolers all the time if we can't brew on site for whatever reason.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 MMMM...Plastic ...goood.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
harley03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Plastic coolers for mash tun's are the way to go. If we start worrying about everything that come into contact with plastic we would all be gone by now.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"Wow! What a Ride!""

Old 11-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
mattreba
Recipes 

I believe there is a valid concern about leaching if you exceed the plastic's maximum temperature rating. Coolers that use HDPE (#2) should be good to 180F which should be fine for mashing. If made out of Polypropylene (#5) they are good to 230-260F. I would expect that the higher the temperature and the longer you sustain the temperature the greater the harm could be. Even if your cooler is HDPE and you are adding boiling water to an existing mash to raise the temperature to < 180F I feel the risk would be controlled as the existing thermal mass would pull the temperature down to safe levels.

Quick Reply