Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Which cooler should I get?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
Earl_Grey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Which cooler should I get?

I am in the process of converting to all grain. Recently, I got a 15gal kettle and burner and now I need to get a cooler for a mash tun. I would like to be able to do 5 and 10 gallon batches.

Usually I don't do big beers or barley wines so I dont need a huge cooler. I have been looking at the Coleman Xtreme 70 quart for my application as it seems it would strike a nice balance of not being too big for a 5 gallon batch but be big enough for a 10 gallon batch.

Any input would be grateful. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have been using the Coleman xtreme 70 qt cooler as a mash tun for about a year and a half now. I love it. I have the ability to make huge abv 5 gallon batches with ease and can probably do 10 gallon batches as well. I do have to say though that I have not done a 10 gallon batch yet though, so I can't give you a full proof answer on that. I have had 26 lbs of grain and mash water in there at a time though.

There is a fair amount of headspace when doing low abv 5 gallon batches. A lot of people think that it won't hold the heat well enough, because of that, but that's bologna. Throw some tin foil over that mash. I barely lose more than a degree when mashing for an hour.

I love my Coleman xtreme.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
eric19312
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicMang
I have been using the Coleman xtreme 70 qt cooler as a mash tun for about a year and a half now. I love it. I have the ability to make huge abv 5 gallon batches with ease and can probably do 10 gallon batches as well. I do have to say though that I have not done a 10 gallon batch yet though, so I can't give you a full proof answer on that. I have had 26 lbs of grain and mash water in there at a time though.

There is a fair amount of headspace when doing low abv 5 gallon batches. A lot of people think that it won't hold the heat well enough, because of that, but that's bologna. Throw some tin foil over that mash. I barely lose more than a degree when mashing for an hour.

I love my Coleman xtreme.
Got the same one. I put a blanket on it and it does just fine. I've done #28 in it for a 10 gal batch, with 1.5 qt/lb. Almost 1.5' didn't quite fit.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 127

The one that's large enough and on sale.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Quick Reply