The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cooler Mashtun or Stainless

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #11
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just recently "upgraded" to a direct fire ss mash tun from a ss lined cooler. I've only got one batch in with the direct fire ss tun and it required constant attention and fiddling for the entire hour to keep my temp. It was kinda "fun" cuz I felt really involved in the process but I tell ya what, the set it and forget it for an hour convenience of a cooler is pretty damn nice. Eventually I'm thinking I'll automate so I can do other things during the mash but time will tell. I may end up going back to a cooler.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
luhrks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdjshaw View Post
Just recently "upgraded" to a direct fire ss mash tun from a ss lined cooler. I've only got one batch in with the direct fire ss tun and it required constant attention and fiddling for the entire hour to keep my temp. It was kinda "fun" cuz I felt really involved in the process but I tell ya what, the set it and forget it for an hour convenience of a cooler is pretty damn nice. Eventually I'm thinking I'll automate so I can do other things during the mash but time will tell. I may end up going back to a cooler.
And that Billy is why people use RIMS and HERMS systems.

Seriously though, steam is probably the best way to direct fire, but I love my gas HERMS.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply