Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cooler Mash Tun with no drain!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
Lentrave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cooler Mash Tun with no drain!

Hi i have a cooler (Blue Coleman Polylite 48 Qts ) but with no drain. The wall is approximately 1 " thick. Can i just drill a hole to the place with normaly the drain is? And what i have to buy to make a ball valve system with a stainless braid? I view the kewler conversion kit on ebay but i dont know if this can work or if the bulkhead is ok for a 1 inch wall . What is the best option , get the kewler conversion with a bazooka screen or buy all the stock at a hardware store? If the best ting to do is to go to the store and buy the stuff ..... what i need ?

tanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

dennybrew Here's a link to how I did mine.The only parts needed are 3/8ID vinyl tubing, inline nylon valve, minikeg bung,toilet braid,and I used zip ties in place of the clamps.I can't remember the hole size I drilled.When you get your keg bung just measure it and drill smaller than you think you need.I ended up needing some aquarium silicone(non-toxic) to seal around mine.
Two Piece Reusable Bung - High Gravity This is the bung
In-Line Plastic Ball Valve - 3/8" - High Gravity Here's the valve.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Check this out http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/no-l...-design-87197/

I suspect with a 1" wall, the nipple would be 2" and you use washers to make up the slack.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

In my case with the 10G round drink cooler, the walls are about 1.5" thick. I use a 2" SS nipple and it is perfect for this thickness.

I would suspect a 1" thick wall could use a 1.5" nipple. The concern I would have with using a 2" nipple on a 1" wall is that it is possible that the minimum distance between inner washer and outer washer might be >1" . If that is the case, you'll need to use oversized washers to add some thickness, or get out a dremel or something and grind something down to allow the washers to slide over the non-threaded portion of the nipple.

Either way, it's a piece of cake using the method used in that no-leak-mlt thread. I used a hole saw at low speed almost all the way, and only scored the inner wall with it. I used a razor to finish the circle inside the cooler so I would have a clean edge to seal against.

I used Bargainfittings stuff, and was super-happy with the service. I had to return the nipple because of inadequate space, and Wayne was a pleasure to work with. I'll keep going back. And the stuff is cheap!

Old 07-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Lentrave
Recipes 

You say you use a hole saw ... can i just drill the hole?? And what i need is a Ball Valve (1/2" SS or brass) , The nipple (1 1/2" to 2"), couple of Stainless Washer , Couple of rubber hi temp washer and Hose Barb Adapter at the end of each side ? that's ok ? i forggot 1 SS braid remove from toilet or washing machine pipe. That's all i need?

Tanks

Old 07-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

A hole saw is a drill bit that makes large holes so yes, you're drilling it.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-12-2009, 05:39 AM   #7
kaiser423
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentrave View Post
You say you use a hole saw ... can i just drill the hole?? And what i need is a Ball Valve (1/2" SS or brass) , The nipple (1 1/2" to 2"), couple of Stainless Washer , Couple of rubber hi temp washer and Hose Barb Adapter at the end of each side ? that's ok ? i forggot 1 SS braid remove from toilet or washing machine pipe. That's all i need?

Tanks
If you use a SS braid from a hot water heater, then the ends actually have some really nice hot water O-rings that fit very well over my valve and sealed it up good.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

+1 on Bobby M's "No-leak-mlt-bulkhead-design".

I am using it on my 100Q Igloo E-HLT project and it works great... Using it for both my ball valve and sight glass... I ended up finding a silicone baking dish at a local Tuesday Morning shop for $4 and made a few "custom" silicone washers to help seal it up...

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
JediJoel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Old thread but any got a general price on this project? I have a 20qt cooler sitting in my garage with no drain that hasn't been used in a while. Its just sitting on the shelf taunting me...

Quick Reply