Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > cooler mash temp idea for poor folk like me

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 04:51 AM   #1
idkid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default cooler mash temp idea for poor folk like me

I upgraded my MLT to a 48qt Rubbermaid regtangular cooler (Walmart for like 15 dollars) but when I tested it I lost several degrees during the hour after letting it preheat. So since I had made the manifold and valve and such I wasn't taking this one back. Instead I purchased a $8 sleeping bag and a three dollar pillow at Walmart. I placed the pillow on top (a little extra insualation for the top) and wrapped the blanket around the cooler. This time, after preheating, I let the cooler sit for over an hour without one degree loss. I'm sure there are other ways out there, but I thought I'd say how I did it. I've seen some put comforters on (SWMBO will allow a lot of things, but not that one) and using a sleeping bag for camping in cold weather was way cheaper. Just thought I'd share this as an idea for others who may have the same problem. An $11 cure for temperature loss. Additionally, the sleeping bag and pillow pack nicely into the cooler after use (Also, keeping SWMBO happy-er).

Tiocfaidh Ar La

"I kissed the bottle, I shoulda been kissin' you"-jawbreaker

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

One thing to check is that the top of your cooler has insulation in it. Sometimes the top is not sprayed full of insulation on cheaper coolers. To fix that you buy a can of spray in foam (Great stuff foam would work) and drill a couple holes, fill'er up!

Otherwise... you have a good idea there with extra insulation.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The cooler will lose less heat when using actual grain also, the mash holds more heat than just water does.

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Quick Reply