Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cooler for carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 03:13 AM   #1
rcd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cooler for carboy?

I've been having banana flavor problems, and originally thought it was my water, but after ruling that out, all I'm left with right now is temperature.

I've thought about buying a fridge/freezer big enough to stick a fermenter in, but that seems like overkill just for lowering fermentation temps for ales, and space is limited in my apartment. Wet towel+fan didn't help.

I was wondering, has anyone seen a cooler (igloo/rubbermaid sort) that is large enough (and vertical enough) to fit an entire fermenter inside (preferrably a glass carboy)? I figure if I fill one with water and ice several times a day, around the carboy, and seal the cooler, that would help get temps down...

So far they have been around 72 on the outside, but apparently a good bit higher on the inside. Not a right tasting beer, yet.

Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 03:19 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 621 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 56

The 60 qt Igloo Ice Cube should do it. I think david_42 has one of these for the same purpose. If I remember right, he had to cut a small hole in the lid to accomodate the top of a 6.5 gallon carboy. Not a big deal - just put a towel around the opening.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:19 AM   #3
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use the carboy in a tub of water trick. I have a t-shirt over the carboy with it soaking in the water, I pour water over the shirt till it's soaked then have a large fan blowing on it. I keep my apartment at around 80 degrees during the day while I'm at work. When I get home I check the temp and the carboy is usually between 68 and 70 degrees. I just make sure to soak the t-shirt in the morning before I leave for work and in the evening when I get home.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:31 AM   #4
rcd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
The 60 qt Igloo Ice Cube should do it. I think david_42 has one of these for the same purpose. If I remember right, he had to cut a small hole in the lid to accomodate the top of a 6.5 gallon carboy. Not a big deal - just put a towel around the opening.
that looks cool! do you know if it'll fit a 6.5 gal carboy? i can't find the internal dimensions on it. looks like its maybe discontinued.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:39 AM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 621 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd
that looks cool! do you know if it'll fit a 6.5 gal carboy? i can't find the internal dimensions on it. looks like its maybe discontinued.
Dimensions are: 16-3/4" x 14-1/2" and 17-1/4" deep. I use one for a mash tun.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I actually use buckets and they stick out of the cooler (only a 48 qt), but there is plenty of room in the Ice Cube for a fermenter and two 2-liter bottles of ice. The Ice Cube is almost as deep as the wort level in the bucket, so it works really nicely.

I also use it as a mash tun & a picnic cooler. I wish I had gotten the model with wheels though.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply