The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cool basement in summer, aquarium heater..?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
7Enigma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zccef View Post
titanium aquarium heaters are always nice just make sure they are in water. if not they will try to heat the ambient temp of the room and become super hot causing plastic to melt and possibly glass to shatter. this can happen with the plastic and glass heaters as well they will just melt or shatter where titanium will just get as hot as the sun. maybe a ceramic heating element? it fits in to a normal incandescent socket doesnt give off any light could be a nice combination with one of those thermal foil blankets. it could be used in combination with a thermostat to gain the exact temp you are looking for, might not be a cheep setup though. i use the heaters for my fish tanks and used the ceramic element for my iguana have not tried either on beer just offering ideas/experiences.
Most of the better brands today have auto-shutoff when removed from water (they sense this by a rapid increase in temp). I think K.I.S.S. is the way to go on this one. Make sure you get a heater rated for the proper temp range (60-80F), and be done with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
7Enigma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
The high today in Boston is 92. How much you wanna wager?

I'm just thinking he is trying to correct something that's not a problem. Lots of ale yeast do well at the 58 - 62 temp range.
Air temp and ground temp are 2 very different things. Boston (like most of the NE) is having an unusual heat wave right now that will end tomorrow (here in PA we've been in the 90's for the last 4 days and tomorrow the high is 65F and the low near 50). Look at their 10 day forecast and you will see the majority of the days are in the mid-low 60's and at night in the upper 40's. That is AIR-temp. The ground temp at basement level will be much colder and will stay that way for the majority of the summer.

Remember even when soil temp at hop/vegetable/flower levels gets warm the soil several feet down will maintain a much colder temp, and that is where the basement will be losing the heat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply