Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is convoluted tubing overkill?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
TommyBoy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Is convoluted tubing overkill?

I have couplers that will be welded up hopefully next week to my HLT and am about to purchase some copper for the coil. I have a 15gal kettle and have yet to decide on if the benefits of the convoluted tubing warrant the insane price difference.

3B has the 25' of 5/8" convoluted for $175. 25' of 1/2" non-convoluted is about $60-$65 at local stores.

I could also get 50' of non-convoluted for $130 and get the same if not better heat exchange than the 25' of convoluted right?

So, do I spring for convoluted or not? If not, should I get 50'?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Brewers Hardware
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

First, you should check out these guys: CopperTubingSales.com :: ICS Indsutries ::

Copper has come down a lot, but not at the home improvement warehouses yet. I paid twice what i should have for the copper chiller I just made by not buying from ICS.

Second, I think the convoluted is a good idea if you have a very limited space and need to maximize the heat exchange from a short run. If you're putting it in a HLT though, that's not really a problem. I had a 50' length of 1/2" in my HLT and it worked just fine; the effluent was what ever temp the hot liquor was.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrin View Post
First, you should check out these guys: CopperTubingSales.com :: ICS Indsutries ::

Copper has come down a lot, but not at the home improvement warehouses yet. I paid twice what i should have for the copper chiller I just made by not buying from ICS.

Second, I think the convoluted is a good idea if you have a very limited space and need to maximize the heat exchange from a short run. If you're putting it in a HLT though, that's not really a problem. I had a 50' length of 1/2" in my HLT and it worked just fine; the effluent was what ever temp the hot liquor was.
Wow, thanks for the link! looks like 50' of non-convo is the way to go.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you really want the effects of internal turbulence, you can fish a copper wire through the interior of the non-convoluted tubing. This is a cheap solution and will produce very similar results.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Brewers Hardware
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
If you really want the effects of internal turbulence, you can fish a copper wire through the interior of the non-convoluted tubing. This is a cheap solution and will produce very similar results.

That's a very good idea and works well, but I would caution against it for a coil you plan on passing wort through. If any grain makes it through, you'll have a much better chance of clogging the coil that has a wire running through it than a clear coil. Cleaning is an issue as well, but since it's pre-boil it's not really a concern.

Running the wire through a chiller is good thinking though.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrin View Post
That's a very good idea and works well, but I would caution against it for a coil you plan on passing wort through. If any grain makes it through, you'll have a much better chance of clogging the coil that has a wire running through it than a clear coil. Cleaning is an issue as well, but since it's pre-boil it's not really a concern.

Running the wire through a chiller is good thinking though.
This is correct, I was think in terms of using the coil as a chiller, not a herms coil.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just talked to an Aaron at ICS and 50' of 1/2" is $48 delivered!

He told me someone from Chicago recently called about using this for homebrewing too. Lol...

Old 01-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I was mainly checking to see if the efficiency difference was worth the extreme price change. Apparently not.

Quick Reply