Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Convoluted Counterflow Stainless Steel 99$

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
poptarts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Convoluted Counterflow Stainless Steel 99$

Stainless Steel Convoluted Counter-flow Wort Chiller for 99$

Okay so I was going to buy these and resell them but I feel kinda dirty about it and its a lot of work for 40$ each so enjoy my discovery. 108 shipped with their shipping. There are 14 available. Too bad I just built a new chiller or I would be all over this too.
Happy brewing guys, this is a solid deal since the copper ones sale for twice that amount.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/stain...t-chiller.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
ImNoExpert
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 11

WOW! Thanks! I'm considering this is a sign that I am meant to have one of these.

Purchased!

If one more person says to me "RDWHHB" I'm gonna start punching people in the papazians.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

I can understand the allure of stainless steel, but it really makes a lousy heat exchanger. I suppose as long as your chill water is cold enough it will get your wort down to temp, but it's going to take a lot more water. Maybe copper is twice the price, but it's definitely 20x more conductive than stainless steel. Just sayin'...

I just finished a write up on chillers here for a more in-depth discussion.

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 03-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
poptarts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlandsailor View Post
I can understand the allure of stainless steel, but it really makes a lousy heat exchanger. I suppose as long as your chill water is cold enough it will get your wort down to temp, but it's going to take a lot more water. Maybe copper is twice the price, but it's definitely 20x more conductive than stainless steel. Just sayin'...

I just finished a write up on chillers here for a more in-depth discussion.
20x maybe for electricity conductivity but not heat transfer. I didnt look up numbers or anything but if that was the case, say a copper immersion chiller takes 20 mins to cool a batch you are claiming that stainless steel immersion chiller takes 6.3 hours? If that's the case they would be making insulation out of the stuff. Will it be slower than copper? yes. Does an extra 2 minutes cooling time ought weigh the fact that it is stainless and wont grow toxic green stuff and its got way more bling bling make it better than copper? Probably for most people yea.
jpalarchio Likes This 
Old 03-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
augiedoggy
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptarts View Post
20x maybe for electricity conductivity but not heat transfer. I didnt look up numbers or anything but if that was the case, say a copper immersion chiller takes 20 mins to cool a batch you are claiming that stainless steel immersion chiller takes 6.3 hours? If that's the case they would be making insulation out of the stuff. Will it be slower than copper? yes. Does an extra 2 minutes cooling time ought weigh the fact that it is stainless and wont grow toxic green stuff and its got way more bling bling make it better than copper? Probably for most people yea.
copper chiller that are used frequently are constantly cleaned by the wort.
I used a copper immersion chiller for a year about once or twice a month and it never tarnished.... any slight discoloration was removed quickly once set in boiling wort to sterilize...
I agree that stainless chillers are no where near 20x or even twice as ineffective as copper.
But if you have green oxidation on your chiller than you have likely cleaned or stored it improperly for a long time...

A lot of older commercial brewery tanks are made of copper....
Now that I have my duda plate chiller I will never go back... its like going from a bicycle to a motorcycle

Old 03-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
Spellman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I don't want to get too far off topic, but plate chillers use stainless plates to exchange heat, works for them.

I ordered one of these and got it a couple days ago. The wort pipes are .60" OD, not sure if that is within range of 5/8 compression fittings or not. I think I am going to try and silver solder some male 1/2" npt fittings on the ends. Some of the other SS ones I have seen on the net had listed that they were not convoluted. This one said it was, but lets be honest, there was not much information about this chiller on the add. I shined a flashlight down the wort pipe and could see up until the bend, but did not see any of the convoluted section. I don't have any experience with the copper ones, does anyone know if they can see the convoluted parts or if it happens later in the pipe after the bend? If it is indeed not convoluted I'm going to guess this is not going to work very well with such a short run and wide piping. I haven't had time to test this out yet and may not be able to until next week or so. My fingers are crossed this is the chiller I've been waiting for.

Also thought I should mention the odd brass fittings on the water in/out. One is 3/4 and the other is 1/2. Kind of odd to have different sizes, would have made my life easier if they were both 1/2 as I have converted garden hoses to 1/2 camlock, but no biggie.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
Spellman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Ended up having a little extra time today and just ran a water test... not really impressed. My tap water just read 40*, should make for a pretty easy chill you would think. First I tried running boiling water through with the pump. Coming out was 130*+, slowing it down to just a trickle I could get it down to 70. Just using gravity wide open it was about 90, and closing the valve halfway brought it down to the 70's. Not very impressive given the ground water temp. I'm now convinced this is indeed not convoluted inside as advertised. My homemade garden hose cfc beats the pants off this, and I'm not really that happy with it either. It works well in the winter, but the summer months my water gets to about 65 and it has trouble with that. I'm also getting tired of the burnt rubber smell that fills my brewery from the hose while recirculating. I would really like the option of saving the waste water to the hlt for another batch, but prefer my beer without that first wort tire addition.

I'm sure someone will chime in and tell me I need to get a big plate chiller like a therminator or comparable, but I don't really want the hassle of keeping them clean (I've got more important things to do than flush, back-flush, bake in oven, flush, back-flush, repeat when you keep finding crud coming out).

Anyone have experience with the copper ones that can attest to their experiences? Anyone else try their SS ones yet and have different results? I'm thinking I'm going to be calling Midwest tomorrow.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
augiedoggy
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If you do a good job of filtering the solids out of your wort BEFORE pumping it through the plate chiller theres not much cleaning needed.... plus you have the benefit of less trub in your fermenter and clearer beer .

Old 03-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
Spellman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I already have a 300 micron stainless basket from Arbor Fabricating that I use and that's good to hear. Maybe I will go that direction after all. I'm ok with flushing them with warm water but just can't stand the idea of adding on an hour to my brew day just to clean the chiller.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #10
rgauthier20420
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellman View Post
I already have a 300 micron stainless basket from Arbor Fabricating that I use and that's good to hear. Maybe I will go that direction after all. I'm ok with flushing them with warm water but just can't stand the idea of adding on an hour to my brew day just to clean the chiller.
I will add to the plate chiller as a better method. I've got the B3-23A 20 from Duda and it's a beast and at only $104 + shipping it's awesome. I know it's winter, but I can chill a 5.5 gallon batch in about 4 minutes using my March 809 and this thing. Whatever chiller you decide, remember bigger plates are more important for chilling times than more plates.

Quick Reply