*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > converting a pin-lock corny to a fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
jrp3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default converting a pin-lock corny to a fermenter

I recently acquired a pin-lock corny keg and want to convert it to a secondary fermenter so I can dry hop and also so I'll have a secondary that's more robust than a glass carboy. Any thoughts on what/how? Should I drill the pressure relief out?... modify one of the poppets?... just drill a hole??? I don't particularly want to do any heavy modification so the simpler the better. Thanks all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
subwyking
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i wouldnt drill anything. take the tubes out. screw one of the valves back on and on the other side get a drilled stopper to fit it. make sure you have a good gasket on the door and it seals well though. thats just my 2 cents. if you dont drill it, then you can always use it down the road.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Since you want to dry hop, get a screen for the outlet tube and cut about 1/2 inch off of the tube. Most of the time, that will be enough to leave the trub behind. All I do when I'm ready to transfer to the serving keg is attach a party tap & run the ale to a glass until it's clear; then I replace the party tap with the transfer hose and connect another keg.

Leave everything else as-is and burp the keg daily.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
subwyking
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i know this is an old thread, but we just racked some beer last night into a corny to use as a secondary. this is what we did.

and here's a close up. its just a short piece of sanitized tubing. we just took the valve off, pulled the dip tube out and put the peice of tubing on it. it was kinda a pain in the ass to get over the threads, but it works. and as you can see. the keg built alittle pressure.

Last edited by subwyking; 03-02-2006 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply