Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Converted keg loss to trub. Dead space!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
Merlyn77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Converted keg loss to trub. Dead space!

I was wondering how much space people have in the bottom of their converted kegs.

I can put two gallons of water in my keg before it gets to the ball valve and starts to gravity feed at all. This seems like an awful lot to me and I was wondering if it's normal or if the valve should have been placed lower.

When brewing a 5 gallon batch I have to start boiling with 9 gallons to yield 5.5 to 6 gallons by the end of the boil.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
cellardoor
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

When using a ball valve in a keggle a dip tube is needs to be installed. Do a quick search here to find various designs. There are a million different ways to make one work for your set-up so just take a look and see what's right for you. With a dip tube properly installed you can get all that sweet sweet barley water out of the keg and into the fermentor.

Cellar Door Brewery

Primary: Smoked Porter
Secondary: Flanders Red 2010
Kegged: 10.10.10, Robust Porter, American IPA

"Without algae, there would be no life on earth, the seas would be sterile and the land would be uncolonized."
-Sir David Attenborough

Old 05-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Merlyn77
Recipes 

Ahh, those are what they are called. I have a rigged one that I can explain pretty easy.

It's basically a crescent shaped copper tube with many slits in it that comes down from the valve and sits on the bottom. I cover the tube with stainless steel mesh. It works great for keeping particles.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try testing it one more time to see if I may have overlooked something.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Trubadour
Recipes 

The problem with your design is that the slits will prevent a siphon from occuring, so you still wouldn't get the wort below the manifold. Just form a piece of copper like you have (curving downward), but with no slits, and shove a SS scrubie under the end

My Keezer

Old 05-14-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlyn77 View Post
Ahh, those are what they are called. I have a rigged one that I can explain pretty easy.

It's basically a crescent shaped copper tube with many slits in it that comes down from the valve and sits on the bottom. I cover the tube with stainless steel mesh. It works great for keeping particles.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try testing it one more time to see if I may have overlooked something.
You will also want to attach a tube of some kind to the valve on the outside of the kettle. The wort will only flow out until it reaches the level of the valve without an extension downward to at least the level of the bottom of the keg. It is essentially a siphon and cannot drain below the valve without the extension as it will suck air at that level and the vacuum will be broken.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2814 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubadour View Post
The problem with your design is that the slits will prevent a siphon from occuring, so you still wouldn't get the wort below the manifold. Just form a piece of copper like you have (curving downward), but with no slits, and shove a SS scrubie under the end
This is what I do exactly. Picked up a giant pack of like 10 at Sams Club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
You will also want to attach a tube of some kind to the valve on the outside of the kettle. The wort will only flow out until it reaches the level of the valve without an extension downward to at least the level of the bottom of the keg. It is essentially a siphon and cannot drain below the valve without the extension as it will suck air at that level and the vacuum will be broken.
This is what I finally discovered last brew day to be exact. I was always getting suction when draining wort from Keggle to fermenter with my hose attached, but when just draining sparge water straight from the spigot, I never got below the valve. This advice would have been golden about 3 weeks ago

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 05-15-2009, 01:34 AM   #7
Merlyn77
Recipes 

Thank you all very much for the information!

That was very helpful and I'm going to do the work tonight.

Quick Reply