Controling environment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onedon

Reaction score
I am getting a little flack because I have been fermenting inside my small house. I want to move it to my garage. It would be fairly easy for me to enclose an area in the corner, but I don't know if it might be better to just get a fridge. If I got a fridge is it possible to set the temp to 70f for brewing ales?

Thats what brewers use temperature controllers for, because the normal fridge won't go that high. But last summer I brewed in the garage here in San Diego. Sure got some blow off, it fermented fast- 1 week from brew to drink. Yes, it did improve with age. Maybe this summer I'll wrap the fermenter in wet towels? Darn wish I had room for an old chest "Coca Cola" fridge my neighbor offered....

If you don't want to invest in a fridge, check this one out:

http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/chiller/chiller.PDF

I'm using a side-by-side fridge for my fermentations. I will soon modify it such that I can keep the freezer part at 0-3C and the fridge part at 8-20C. The fride part holds 3 (5gal) carboys and the freezer can hold 2 cornies. The latter will be good for lagering Lager-beers.

Another thing to look into are freezer chests, they are more efficient with cooling and the cold doesn't fall on the floor when you open them.

Kai

Back