Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Controling environment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
Onedon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Controling environment

I am getting a little flack because I have been fermenting inside my small house. I want to move it to my garage. It would be fairly easy for me to enclose an area in the corner, but I don't know if it might be better to just get a fridge. If I got a fridge is it possible to set the temp to 70f for brewing ales?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thats what brewers use temperature controllers for, because the normal fridge won't go that high. But last summer I brewed in the garage here in San Diego. Sure got some blow off, it fermented fast- 1 week from brew to drink. Yes, it did improve with age. Maybe this summer I'll wrap the fermenter in wet towels? Darn wish I had room for an old chest "Coca Cola" fridge my neighbor offered....

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 01-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you don't want to invest in a fridge, check this one out:

http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/chiller/chiller.PDF

I'm using a side-by-side fridge for my fermentations. I will soon modify it such that I can keep the freezer part at 0-3C and the fridge part at 8-20C. The fride part holds 3 (5gal) carboys and the freezer can hold 2 cornies. The latter will be good for lagering Lager-beers.

Another thing to look into are freezer chests, they are more efficient with cooling and the cold doesn't fall on the floor when you open them.

Kai

Old 01-23-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
Mikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onedon
If I got a fridge is it possible to set the temp to 70f for brewing ales?
Would only work if it's warmer than 70F in your garage.

Quick Reply