Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Control Products Dual Relay $60 Shipped on Amazon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #21
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 504 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockerengr View Post
Tip for the wiring diagram. I'd reccomend switching the power leg instead of neutral. It'll make for a slightly safer install. Otherwise whatever is plugged in will have 120VAC on it, even when it's not running.
Yeah, that makes sense. That should fix my "open neutral" problem. Not that it's been a "problem" but...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #22
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here's the modified wiring diagram that should be better than the previous one.

If you use this wiring diagram, you would have to wire the outlet differently. The bar on the gold side of the contacts would have to be broken and the bar on the white side should stay intact. The two black wires should go to the two gold connections and one white wire should be connected to one of the white side connections and should then be tied back to the white wire that comes in from the plug.

Or perhaps BOTH bars would need to be broken and TWO separate white wires should go back to the white plug wire. Would that even make a difference? I don't know.

Obviously, I am not a professional electrician so take my instructions at your own risk.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:03 AM   #23
NYC
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
Here's the modified wiring diagram that should be better than the previous one.

If you use this wiring diagram, you would have to wire the outlet differently. The bar on the gold side of the contacts would have to be broken and the bar on the white side should stay intact. The two black wires should go to the two gold connections and one white wire should be connected to one of the white side connections and should then be tied back to the white wire that comes in from the plug.

Or perhaps BOTH bars would need to be broken and TWO separate white wires should go back to the white plug wire. Would that even make a difference? I don't know.

Obviously, I am not a professional electrician so take my instructions at your own risk.
Cool, thanks for the input...don't worry I'm taking your thoughts as academic advice only. But if it works I owe you a beer ...now I'm confused about the wiring but I'll take another look at it. #1) #2) #3) are done. I got a 12-gauge 3-prong cord, check.

Earlier I cut the strips on the silver side, and now I'll wait to see if I should cut the gold side also. Once someone confirms that I'll wire out the rest of the revised diagram and give it a shot.

Thanks for you advice

Old 10-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #24
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC View Post
Cool, thanks for the input...don't worry I'm taking your thoughts as academic advice only. But if it works I owe you a beer ...now I'm confused about the wiring but I'll take another look at it. #1) #2) #3) are done. I got a 12-gauge 3-prong cord, check.

Earlier I cut the strips on the silver side, and now I'll wait to see if I should cut the gold side also. Once someone confirms that I'll wire out the rest of the revised diagram and give it a shot.

Thanks for you advice
I might pick up a new outlet and test out my revised wiring diagram this week. If I do, I'll post some new pics and tell you how it turned out.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #25
NYC
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool, thanks. I have no problem waiting another week but make sure it's safe/works!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #26
NYC
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey LandoLincoln, any chance you got the time to try this new setup? I may just wire my attempt up today and see what happens...which could be interesting in either case...

Thanks!

Old 10-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #27
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2713 Times on 2685 Posts
Likes Given: 113

It should also be noted that at least on the product page it says Dual 20 amp relays not 30 amp relays.

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 10-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #28
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC View Post
Hey LandoLincoln, any chance you got the time to try this new setup? I may just wire my attempt up today and see what happens...which could be interesting in either case...

Thanks!
No, I didn't, but I might get to it tonight.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #29
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCurtis View Post
It should also be noted that at least on the product page it says Dual 20 amp relays not 30 amp relays.
I pulled that graphic from the manufacturer's website. So anyway, I think they're rated 20 amp, not 30.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #30
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Land o Lincoln, you might want to take down your first drawing where you're switching the white wire. It's a pretty big safety hazard to switch the neutral!

Also, in the second drawing, you don't need the wire if you leave the tab on the white side of the receptacle. If you've broken the tab you can just put a wire between the screws and be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Quick Reply