Conicals that can hold pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering wich brands/makes of conicals can hold pressure. I'd like to get one or two at some point that can be used to carb the beer naturally.

Also whats the best deal price wise? Usually bewing around 10-11g.

The only problem with the damn things is I really need three or four. :(

Blichmann's will hold some pressure but not enough carbonate unless you were to modify it. If you did modify it you'd void the warranty. IMO you'd probably better off using corny kegs as they can hold 130 PSI.

abracadabra said:
Blichmann's will hold some pressure but not enough carbonate unless you were to modify it. If you did modify it you'd void the warranty. IMO you'd probably better off using corny kegs as they can hold 130 PSI.

Another benefit of using the corny to carb is that it frees up the expensive conical for the next batch.

The ones that can hold pressure only handle enough to use CO2 to move the brew around.

I was wondering this same thing. I visited Highland Brewery in Asheville NC and they carb in their giant stainless conicals. One of them actually was so violent while I was there they had a 4" diameter blow off tube in a big vat of water that was so vigorous I could have used it for a jacuzzi. Otherwise they leave them closed up and they carbonate while fermenting. Is this possible for homebrewing? And, what is this process called?

Well, I've transfered to cornies 3 days into fermentation before in order for it to carb natually, but I can't dump the yeast that way. Plus doing 10+ gallon batches, that means 2 cornies or trying to find 10g ones.

It's pretty standard in the brewing idustry to carb naturally in the conical. You'd think someone would sell small conicals with this capibility.

What kind of pressure are we talking about for carbing beer in the fermenter? If it only takes about 12 psi to force carb with a co2 tank then it shouldn't be much more to do it naturally.

Back