New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is a conical worth the $$$ at this stage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
biggrizzly
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Lots of great advice guys. I kind of thought that but wanted to get some opinions.

Good news... My parents kicked in and bought me a 10gal. Blichmann Brew Kettle for Christmas and the wife gave me a$300 gift certificate to the LHBS. I'm looking good now. I'd like to get one of those big burners, a Johnson controls temp controller and a Blichmann beer gun. I think I can do that with $300. and still have enough to buy another Better Bottle and a pail.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 639 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggrizzly View Post
Lots of great advice guys. I kind of thought that but wanted to get some opinions.

Good news... My parents kicked in and bought me a 10gal. Blichmann Brew Kettle for Christmas and the wife gave me a$300 gift certificate to the LHBS. I'm looking good now. I'd like to get one of those big burners, a Johnson controls temp controller and a Blichmann beer gun. I think I can do that with $300. and still have enough to buy another Better Bottle and a pail.

Cheers!
I don't know your level of experience or what you intend to do with your beer but I'd opt for 3 buckets and no better bottle. I like to have more than one type of beer going at once and sometimes even more than 3.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
Droot
Recipes 

I have been brewing for 20 years. I just got one 7.5 gal stainless 3 years ago. I simply love it. My girlfriends children all pitched in and bought me another one yesterday.

Its the way to ferment beer. Everything about it is easier. I have to move it around the house to keep the temp. Too cool in the basement for ale yeast.

Easy to wash, easier to sanitize.

Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Old 12-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
Shockerengr
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got them, but if you're just starting out, I wouldn't recommend them.

They do make things easier for transfering to kegs, and for harvesting yeast, but for improving the quality of beer, they really don't make that much of a difference

There are a lot of other investments that can be made that will improve beer far more than a conical. Full boil, temp control, all grain equip (lets you make more styles)...especially when you figure in the cost.

I built a single tier rig for not much more than what I now have invested in conicals.

Quick Reply