Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Conical Users: Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
PitsPale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Conical Users: Question

So I'm debating on getting a minibrew conical. I like the idea of single vessel fermentation and the price is right.

That said - when you drain sediment, etc. from the bottom port, the level of good beer falls, correct. So after 2 weeks in a conical, there should be no sediment, and good beer (little or no sediment) should be all the way to to the apex of the cone. Right?

Then you use the racking port (upper) to rack to your kegs. How do you get all the beer out? Is there a racking arm inside to dip down near the apex of the cone?

Finally - when you're draining the sediment out, how do you know how much to let out? Just drain until you start getting clear beer?

Thanks,
Andy

Primary #1: Pits Pale
Primary #2: Empty

Secondary #1: Empty
Secondary #2: Empty

Kegged/Conditioning: Jackson's Red Redux, Pumpkin Spice Ale

Kegged/Tapped#1: White Bastard Belgian Wit
Kegged/Tapped#2: Watermelon Wheat

On Deck: Christmas Porter, Heffeweizen, maybe an IPA (for fall)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

From what I've read (I'm considering a conical as well) people drain out the yeast until they see clear beer. Supposedly the amount lost is minimal...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 10-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've never seen one of those up close. Their website does not clearly indicate whether the racking port has a movable arm on the inside like all of the SS conicals do. Maybe call them?

Plus search the forum. I'm sure there are people on here who use them.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 10-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
tdiowa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the conical that both of you are considering. Let me see if I can answer your questions and concerns.

>>>That said - when you drain sediment, etc. from the bottom port, the level of good beer falls, correct. So after 2 weeks in a conical, there should be no sediment, and good beer (little or no sediment) should be all the way to to the apex of the cone. Right?<<<

In theory yes. What I do is drain after I have had active fermentation for several days is put a coffee cup under the bottom port and fill until full. I then repeat this procedure daily for two - three days. I really don't worry about leaving a little sediment in the cone. My main goal is to get the sediment below the racking port.

>>>Then you use the racking port (upper) to rack to your kegs. How do you get all the beer out? Is there a racking arm inside to dip down near the apex of the cone?<<<

I rack from the racking port directly into the keg. As the beer gets lower in the conical I will tip it forward to get what I can. Once my kegs are full or when I can't get anymore beer out of the racking port I'm done. I always have one - two cup of sediment that has settled in the cone and just dump down the drain. Believe me you would not want to drink it.

>>>Finally - when you're draining the sediment out, how do you know how much to let out? Just drain until you start getting clear beer?<<<

Again I just fill up a coffee cup full of sediment and dump. My goal is to get the sediment below the racking port

One of the things that I do is always try and put five and half gallons in the conical. With that and my yeast and starter I am up to five and half - three forths gallons. After I am done dumping the sediment and the left over that is below the racking port I have more or less five gallons of beer.

Another trick with using the 6.5 mini fermetor that I have is that it has a plastic cap. When there is active fermentation going on the cap is expanded out. This is a great way to monitor, although unscientic active fermentation. When you dump sediment the cap will deflate. If active fermetation is going on the cap will then cap will expand again.

In short the mini fermetor is one of my most valuable pieces of equipment my only regret is that I don't have two which will soon be remedied.

I you have any further question don't hesitate to ask.

TD

Old 10-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
jamescb77
Recipes 

why don't you just build your own you could build one for much cheaper and have it be bigger than that.

Primary 1:air
Primary 2:air
Secondary:Air
Bottled: air
Up Next:not really sure
Enjoying:AIR:(
working on upgrading to electric if someone would liek to brew me some i would be more than happy to pay for all the ingredients and come help out. Let me know if your near Vincennes Indiana

Quick Reply