Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Conical sanitation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
kydan47
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Conical sanitation?

Have been using the blichmann conical for a short while and am learning some of its pro's & con's, and am wondering what others do with the racking arm? It came w/ the 1/2" std fittings e.g. Bottom ball valve, etc., but I am hesitant to take a sample using the racking arm before final racking with only a limited ability to sanitize. Has anyone had any issues w/ contamination after taking a sample and prior to final racking, or contamination at a later date that they felt could have been from earlier sampling? Just hoping to avoid a mistake. Any other advice greatly appreciated!

Dan F.
LAGERS/FOSSILS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
scratchy1971
Urinal Cake Aficionado
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have put about 7 batches in mine, and drawn at least one sample from each. I keep sanitizer in a spray bottle, and just squirt some in the barb after I shut the valve to flush it out. Hold a small cup or paper towel underneath to catch the run-off. The Blicmann manual does advise not to rotate the arm until ready to keg/bottle, in order to avoid a leak. Never had any spoilage issues,

Old 12-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #3
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydan47 View Post
Have been using the blichmann conical for a short while and am learning some of its pro's & con's, and am wondering what others do with the racking arm? It came w/ the 1/2" std fittings e.g. Bottom ball valve, etc., but I am hesitant to take a sample using the racking arm before final racking with only a limited ability to sanitize. Has anyone had any issues w/ contamination after taking a sample and prior to final racking, or contamination at a later date that they felt could have been from earlier sampling? Just hoping to avoid a mistake. Any other advice greatly appreciated!

Dan F.
LAGERS/FOSSILS
I do the same as scratchy1971. Flush with sanitizer well, then cap. The little cap off of a carboy cover is perfect. No problems yet. I take the conical apart between uses and boil all small parts to sanitize the tubes and valves before use.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
kydan47
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thnx, sounds like there have been many people using the racking arm for sampling followed by Star San, etc. I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Much obliged!

Dan F.
LAGERS/FOSSILS

Quick Reply