Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Conical Fermenters+Temp Control Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
auto
ARC Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Conical Fermenters+Temp Control Questions

So.... In the never ending quest to increase the ease of brewing, I am looking into conical fermenters, but my main concern is temp control. Main issue is where i live, and the summertime is almost impossible to ferment below 72 without a keezer/fridge/ type environment. Not opposed to any of these solutions, but.... most conicals would make it hard to be in a keeze type of enviro. Any suggestions?

ARC Brewing

Keg 1- Apfelwein
Keg 2- Auto Christmas Ale
Keg 3- Citrus Wheat
Keg 4 Air

Ferment 1- SWMBO Blonde Slayer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4939 Times on 3578 Posts
Likes Given: 995

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto View Post
So.... In the never ending quest to increase the ease of brewing, I am looking into conical fermenters, but my main concern is temp control. Main issue is where i live, and the summertime is almost impossible to ferment below 72 without a keezer/fridge/ type environment. Not opposed to any of these solutions, but.... most conicals would make it hard to be in a keeze type of enviro. Any suggestions?
No, that's why I don't have a conical, either! A 7 gallon would fit in a refrigerator, but a 14 gallon won't. I don't have the money/time/ability to make a cold room or run a glycol system.

Check out Brewpastor's system if you are a DIY type. I think it's a homemade glycol chilling system for his fermenters.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Yes this is exactly why conicals are just not practical. I think you'd be better off with buckets or better bottles. If you really want stainless and your doing 10 gallon batches, think about fermenting in a 15 gallon Sanke keg. Any of those would fit in a standard fridge.

IMHO temp control is so much more important then a shiny conical.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It depends on the conical - I know Blichmann conicals fit in a fridge, and Stout Tanks makes a "short one" that's basically the size of a sanke (slightly taller). Then, of course, there's the DIY plastic conicals that folks seem to be having success with, those are 19".

Old 12-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
It depends on the conical - I know Blichmann conicals fit in a fridge, and Stout Tanks makes a "short one" that's basically the size of a sanke (slightly taller). Then, of course, there's the DIY plastic conicals that folks seem to be having success with, those are 19".
yes but those are all for 5 gallon batches. With 10 gallon batches the logistics are much more difficult.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Nope, those are 14 gallon sized conicals. The "short" Stout Tank is 15.75" wide and 33" high (alhtough their regular one is 23" wide, which is cutting it fine), and the Blichmann is 18.5" wide and 31" tall (or so). Granted, these won't fit in a mini fridge, but most standard top freezer refrigerators are 30" wide (total) and can accommodate one of these. (The plastic Norwesco tanks are 19" wide, 24" high, plus another foot to add legs and space for the dump valve).

Don't get me wrong tho - you still do need a (full size) fridge to act as a fermentation chamber to control the temps accurately.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
str8wire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
The "short" Stout Tank is 15.75" wide
That's what she said

There are no badder beers, just better beers.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
Nope, those are 14 gallon sized conicals. The "short" Stout Tank is 15.75" wide and 33" high (alhtough their regular one is 23" wide, which is cutting it fine), and the Blichmann is 18.5" wide and 31" tall (or so). Granted, these won't fit in a mini fridge, but most standard top freezer refrigerators are 30" wide (total) and can accommodate one of these. (The plastic Norwesco tanks are 19" wide, 24" high, plus another foot to add legs and space for the dump valve).

Don't get me wrong tho - you still do need a (full size) fridge to act as a fermentation chamber to control the temps accurately.
The width is not a problem it's the height. I don't think that height fits in most standard fridges. Also, the drain is too low and once it's full it's nearly impossible to move. So filling and emptying it while it's in the fridge sound like a real PITA.

I don't see a significant advantage over something as cheap as a pair of better bottles or even some plastic buckets.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Full-size fridges usually have 35-36" of vertical clearance inside. The 14G Blichmann is just over 31" tall. It fits. I would think fitting into a standard fridge would be one of the design criteria.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
BeernuT100
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You can add a collar to your keezer to make it fit. I am in the process of doing just that.

Quick Reply