Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Collecting chiller water for brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #11
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudill View Post
Commercial breweries often recapture chiller water for brewing - BUT you need to make sure to filter it to remove chlorine.
But they are most likely using that water for the next batch straight away.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 AM   #12
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not necessarily - I know breweries that just store it in a dedicated hot water tank.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #13
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If you double batch it's perfect. The spent water from the chiller goes straight to the HLT at well over 100*. Saves water, and energy from not having to heat the water as much with a burner for your second batch.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:59 AM   #14
wiggybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2

But are there ever any questions when you want to upgrade the brewery?
Not at all, She loves my wheat beers.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
Adamski
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dunno how warm your ground water is or how fast your flow is through your chiller but I generally chill 23L of wort to sub 20 degrees celsius with only about 30L of water. That's if I use a chiller. You could always embrace the Aussie way and no-chill into an HDPE water storage cube!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #16
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

OK, now I'm going to have to figure out how much water my immersion chiller uses. If I'm dumping 50+ gallons I may have to capture some of the very abundant rain water and get a pump.
A 50 gallon drum with one gutter drain running into it would be an endless supply around here.
It would have to be a cheap pump to make it worth it though.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
Dunno how warm your ground water is or how fast your flow is through your chiller but I generally chill 23L of wort to sub 20 degrees celsius with only about 30L of water. That's if I use a chiller. You could always embrace the Aussie way and no-chill into an HDPE water storage cube!
Sounds like you're awfully lucky. Ground water here in the summer is 25-26 easily. I usually have to finish chilling with my IC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
OK, now I'm going to have to figure out how much water my immersion chiller uses. If I'm dumping 50+ gallons I may have to capture some of the very abundant rain water and get a pump.
A 50 gallon drum with one gutter drain running into it would be an endless supply around here.
Submersible's are pretty cheap. I'm not sure I'd use water that's been sitting stagnant too long though for chilling if that's what you're implying. That kind of water can get a lot of nasties in it I wouldn't want coming near my equipment.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
Checkout the pond pumps at Lowes/HD/etc.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
Bryali
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The next time I brew, I'll have to figure out how much I'm using. I'd love to figure out a way to capture rain water, but it doesn't rain enough year-round (where I am) to use that reliably. It'll certainly be something worth looking into for when it DOES rain. Filtering will be absolutely necessary, of course.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #20
ajlee
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hey - thanks for posting this. I'm getting ready to use an IC for the first time on my next brew, so it's good to have an idea of how much water it will use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervousDad View Post
I read my meter before and after it was around 300 gallons.
Your meter must be different than mine, mine measures in "units" not gallons (1 unit = 748 gallons), so it would be very hard to accurately measure this way.

Looking at a recent bill and doing the math, it looks like my city currently charges about 1.3 cents / gallon. So 60 gallons comes to around 78 cents. That's much cheaper than the two bags of ice per brew I've been buying for ice baths!

If you're worried about "wasting" it, I read that the average shower head puts out about 2.5 gallons per minute. Assuming you brew once a month and shower daily, just cut one minute or so off each shower, and that should more than offset for the water used cooling your brew.

Quick Reply