Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Coffee Airpot as Make-Shift Draft System?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
Dr. Francois
Dry Yeast FTW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Coffee Airpot as Make-Shift Draft System?

I spend too much time in coffee shops.

I was looking at the insulated airpots many coffee shops use to dispense drip coffee, like this one:

I don't have the resources for home kegging yet, but I would like a solution for parties and gatherings. The pots hold about 2.2 liters, so I was thinking, could I bottle in 2L bottles, naturally carbonate, then pour the beer into the airpot for serving. I'm assuming contents would be consumed within 2 hours, so there wouldn't be a risk of oxidation of the beer. I'm not proposing this as a long-term storage solution.

Here are the advantages I see:
--The pot is very well insulated. It keeps hot coffee hot for several hours, so I assume it could do the same for cold beverages.
--The measurements are about perfect: 2.2 liters allows just a bit of air room.
--The price is right: about 30 bucks for a new one, under 5 bucks for a used one.
--Very easy to clean.

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried this method?

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

My airpot isn't exactly like that, but airpots work by pumping air into the pot forcing out the coffee. Beer is carbonated, it will pour all by itself. Mine does have a valve over the opening, but I know it won't hold pressure.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
madewithchicken
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
My airpot isn't exactly like that, but airpots work by pumping air into the pot forcing out the coffee. Beer is carbonated, it will pour all by itself. Mine does have a valve over the opening, but I know it won't hold pressure.
I think that you are right. It may not pour quickly but it is likely to come out.

I probably will not be around much anymore. I had to close my restaurant and get a real job so i do not have the time to hang out online all day.

Check out my videos on my profile or at:

1920fairfax.com Just voted the worst show on the internet.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
Wingnutj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I also think the carbon in the brew will more likely splash out of the pot than pour. That and all the air your pushing in the pot will (may) flatten your brew inside the pot before pouring. (just my .02)
Great Idea though!

Quick Reply