Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > CO2 tank on its side?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Hermish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default CO2 tank on its side?

I just had a quick question about if it is okay to lay a co2 tank on its side. It would make it so that I could fit more kegs in my fridge, and I don't see anything wrong with it, but maybe some of you smarter people know somehting that I don't.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1018 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

No good. Liquid co2 will get into your reg.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Agreed, the CO2 tank needs to be upright to dispense in gas form.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 02-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

you can do it, you just have to mod your tank a bit and put an anti siphon valve in it.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone
you can do it, you just have to mod your tank a bit and put an anti siphon valve in it.
Yeah, commonly done in paintball. Bear in mind though that you have to remove the valve from the tank to do so, and you have to make sure that the tank is ALWAYS oriented with the tube facing straight up. Plus, you'll have to get it filled rather than exchanged, which may or may not be a problem depending on where you take it, but will likely add some hassle in any case. IMO, not really worth it unless you're REALLY determined to use your tank on its side.

I don't know what your exact situation, but keep in mind that putting the tank outside the kegerator is often a very good option, and installing some kind of gas bulkhead in order to keep the tank outside may be less work than converting your tank with an anti-siphon. Also may allow you to upgrade to a bigger tank, which in my case was a major plus.

Quick Reply