Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > CO2 Tank in Fridge or Not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #11
karbinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

If you keep it in the keezer, it reads a little lower on the
dial as far as gas remaining than what's really in there. I've
had no other problems but that with it inside

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #12
TheFlatline
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldoolittle View Post
I wouldn't store beer in that fridge. CO2 turns to dry ice at minus 78.5° C (109° F).

I store mine inside 24x7x365 w/o incident.
You can get freeze over due to endothermic flashing of liquid to gas. If the tank is low enough, and you're pulling enough gas out of the cylinder, you'll get freeze over even at room temperature. If you are in a fridge, you can freeze over easier.

Unless you're pouring pints every 5 minutes when the tank is 1/4th full, you'll be fine.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #13
Cookiebaggs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The alcove underneath my bar only allows room for the minifridge. I would not be able to fit the 5 lb tank along side.

I have it on the hump inside the fridge and have had no problems.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:53 PM   #14
modenacart
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlatline View Post
You can get freeze over due to endothermic flashing of liquid to gas. If the tank is low enough, and you're pulling enough gas out of the cylinder, you'll get freeze over even at room temperature. If you are in a fridge, you can freeze over easier.

Unless you're pouring pints every 5 minutes when the tank is 1/4th full, you'll be fine.
Isn't that how they make dry ice?

Old 08-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #15
DonkeyShoes
Recipes 

i store mine in my mini-fridge, no problems.

your 2nd gauge (reading tank pressure) will drop significantly. after 1 day in the fridge my gauge was in the "time to refill" range. has not dropped since.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:58 AM   #16
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyShoes View Post
your 2nd gauge (reading tank pressure) will drop significantly. after 1 day in the fridge my gauge was in the "time to refill" range. has not dropped since.
Exactly! CO2 is in a liquid/vapor state that has a direct temperature/pressure relationship. The pressure will remain exactly the same, at a given temperature, until all of the liquid has been vaporized. Once only vapor exists, the pressure will drop rapidly. The pressure/temperature relationship can be seen in this PT chart for CO2.

The only downside, other than taking up space, of keeping the CO2 tank in the fridge is that the elastomer that the regulator diaphragms are made of will be slower to react to a change in output pressure when they are cold. For example, if you change the regulator output pressure from 10 psi to 12 psi when the regulator is cold, the pressure may slowly creep past 12 psi after some time has past. Over time, I learned to recognize the amount of overshoot and compensate for it.

Quick Reply