Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > CO2 regulator pressure climbing..??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default CO2 regulator pressure climbing..??

I have a dual outlet CO2 regulator, and when I hook up two kegs to it and try to set the pressure to about 5 psi, it climbs up toward 10psi over night...

This is the regulator I have, 0 - 60 PSI CO2 regulator with Y and 2 - 1/4 Flare (threaded) fittings with ball valve shutoffs: www.kegkits.com

I have Rootbeer on one outlet and an American Pale Ale on the other. When I first go to the tap after a day, the pressure is near 10psi. It's set to around 5. I use the pressure relief valve on the corny, then dispense when it reaches around 5psi. The pressure doesn't increase afterwards (the rest of the evening) I come back the next day, and the pressure is back up to 10psi..

I can't figure out why it's doing this. The temp in the fridge isn't fluxuating, all my fittings are tight, regulator seems solid. There is also a check valve per outlet in the regulator, so there shouldn't be anything pushing back into the regulator...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 01:39 AM   #2
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

When you keep the CO2 tank in the fridge the elastomer that is used for the regulator's diaphragm will be slower to respond to changes in output pressure when it's cold.

For example. If you have the regulator in the fridge and set to 10 psi and then you change the output pressure to 12psi, you may find that when you come back in a couple of hours that the new output pressure may be 15 psi. This "creeping" effect is due to the cold temps effecting the diaphragm. I've learned to compensate for the "creeping" effect by setting the new output pressure just slightly lower than my intended pressure. It will then creep up to my new setting after some time. Usually not very long.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
IXVolt

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Aaahh... that makes sense.

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
crusher9008
Recipes 

Hmmm I just posted on something simular to this...lol... I am having the same problem and yes my Co2 tank is inside the fridge also.. maybe I should try to do the same only mine is creaping up much higher than just 3-5psi...its going from like 8psi to 20 and 10 psi to 20;...

Old 02-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
jtrainer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hmm I have this on one regulator and my tank/regulators are external. I set the pressure on the fall rather than the rise. Once set at 10, it usually doesn't change.

I probably should swap the pressures between them.... one for soda/force carb and the other for beer...

I brew the best beer around.... don't believe me, ship me a keg of your finest and I'll email a picture of me testing your beer with a write up....

OnTap: Rocky's IPA
OnTap: Wife's Ale
OnTap: Air
Fermenter: Vanilla Porter, Riley's Smile, Mead
OnDeck: Wifes Ale, J da Arrogant Bastard, Js Pale Ale, Rocky's Bark

Old 02-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I've noticed similar issues on my dual regulator. If I set at 10psi it will usually creep up to 12psi over night and normally stay there. I'm serving at that pressure, so that works okay for me. If I don't keep a keg hooked up to each regulator the one that isn't hooked up will creep up from zero and seems to just keep going higher over time. So, I just keep one of my three kegs on the second regulator.

If the creeping doesn't stop and even out and the thing just keeps creeping higher and higher you could have a defective regulator.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 02-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
If the creeping doesn't stop and even out and the thing just keeps creeping higher and higher you could have a defective regulator.
Just wanted to add - continuous pressure creep can also occur if the regulator diaphragm freezes (or partially freezes). That's happened to me before.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 02-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
Just wanted to add - continuous pressure creep can also occur if the regulator diaphragm freezes (or partially freezes). That's happened to me before.
Good reason to keep the co2 out of the fridge/freezer.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Good reason to keep the co2 out of the fridge/freezer.
For me, it's still better to keep the CO2 tank in the fridge for (1) space reasons and (2) avoid CO2 tank temperature fluctuations (e.g., kegerator in my garage).

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 02-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post

YIKES! Well, I keep my temp control at 40 degrees. So, I'm hoping there aren't any pockets that are cold enough to freeze the thing.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply