Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > CO2 leaks are driving me crazy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Hermish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default CO2 leaks are driving me crazy

I just got all the parts for my keezer together, and started assembling the CO2 today and there are leaks everywhere. All I have done so far is the regulator to the tank which is fine. Then the reg to a hose is good. Then it goes to a 4 way manifold that I bought pre-made, and it leaks everywhere. It is made up of 4 Ts, and 4 shutoff valves, and over half of the connections leak. I have tried tightening them, and they have Teflon tape on them. Anyone have some advice for me, or should I try to return it? I paid decent money for it, and expected it to work right out of the box.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
jay075j
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'll be the first one to try fix something that has been good to me in the past. But if you dropped good cash on something, and it doesn't work the way it's supposed to right out of the box, I would bring it back immediately! And if they gave me any crap about taking it back, I would also be sure to find a different supplier.....

Jay

"All right, brain, I don't like you, and you don't like me, so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." - Homer Simpson

Old 01-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Hermish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I hope they will take it back. I'll have to call today and see since I can't seem to make all the connections stop leaking. I hate to say it since I like the company, but it's from Austin Homebrew.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
jamesrm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im sure they will take care of you. Sounds like they didnt use enough teflon, which is a fast easy fix for it.

Check out the Tennessee Brewers Club!

On Tap:
1. Edwort's Haus Ale
2. 312 Fruity

Fermenting:
1. Something Like Stella
2. Bohemian Pilsner - Silver Medalist
3. Edwort's Robust Porter

Conditioning
1. 40 gallons 2007 Muscadine Wine
2. Honkers Ale Clone from BTW Thread
3. El Dictator IIPA
4. Oktoberfest

Old 01-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree with Jamesrm, take it apart and wrap the threads 5-6 times, reassemble, and tighten them down fully. Use soapy water or star san to check for leaks. It sucks to run out of co2 and having to get your tank filled unexpectedly.
-Ben

Old 01-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Teflon tape works great but only if you use it correctly. One or two wraps looks nice but is seldom enough to give a good leak-free joint. Take the suspect joints apart and get the old tape off and wrap with new as already described. Your problems and leaks should disappear.

Burkey Street Brewery

Old 01-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Flare fittings by chance? Make sure the teflon only covers the threads, not the smooth bulbous tip Two to three always works for me- it helps seal, but only because of it's original purpose- cut down friction so you can make it nice and tight! With flare fittings, you don't want gunk or tape on the end, it will degrade the seal.

Quick Reply