Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cloudy with a chance of Star San

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
plaidpaint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cloudy with a chance of Star San

I've been reading about the length of time Star San stays effective, and the consensus seems to be as long the pH is low and the solution is clear, it's ok.

My problem is that when I mix up a batch, it goes cloudy within an hour or so. So I mix some up at the start of the brew day, or bottling day, and by the time I'm finished, it's cloudy. Presumably there's something in my tap water that's reacting, but is it enough to make the solution useless after this short a period of time?

I'm planning of getting pH test strips with my next order of goodies, but should I be worried in the meantime? And what if the pH is still appropriately low, but the solution is cloudy?

Cheers,
Dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 8

No way of knowing without testing the PH. I had the same issue so i started using distilled water instead of tap. Now it stays clear for weeks.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
MNDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If it's cloudy, add more StarSan. My RO/ Starsan mix has been fine for 2 years. I just keep it in a spare keg.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This is NOT entirely true. If it TURNS cloudy after being clear for a period of time, i.e. a couple days, the ph has changed and it is no longer good.

HOWEVER If you MIX it with water and it is cloudy initially it is STILL usually fine, and is only reacting to minerals in the water. The ph most of the time is still in the safe zone. It is recommended that you verify this with ph test strips. But usually the starsan is still good. But there's been threads where folks have done tests with ph meters and various waters, and if it changes within the first few hours the ph still is in effective range. Mine goes cloudy within a couple hours and I've never had a problem.

So yeah, if it's been a couple hours assume it is fine. If it's the next day however I would either confirm with ph strips or go fresh.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts

The cloudiness is the dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid coming out of solution which makes it ineffective (the pH may still be low as the phosphoric acid is what is lowering the pH and it will remain in solution). So you need it to be at the correct pH and clear. If either of these conditions is violated it is not effective.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

What is the effective pH range on starsan? is it below 3 pH?
I saw this listed before, but I can't find it now...

If it was on the bottle it's warn off, my bottle is in bad shape!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 02-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts

3.0 or lower.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Thanks!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 02-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
The cloudiness is the dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid coming out of solution which makes it ineffective (the pH may still be low as the phosphoric acid is what is lowering the pH and it will remain in solution). So you need it to be at the correct pH and clear. If either of these conditions is violated it is not effective.
Pretty sure in the podcast with the inventor of star-san he said that was not the case. cloudy due to hard water, but a proper pH, means its still effective.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 02-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #10
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
Pretty sure in the podcast with the inventor of star-san he said that was not the case. cloudy due to hard water, but a proper pH, means its still effective.
Mine goes cloudy and I haven't had an infected batch yet.

Quick Reply