Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Clogged Burner - How to Clean???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
djevans3
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Clogged Burner - How to Clean???

As the title says, I've got a burner clogged with boil over wort. This happened in a boil a week ago and I'm about ready to brew again, but need to clean it up. Some of the holes for the propane appear clogged and the others are not burning correctly since they have yellow tips on the flame.

burner.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Pipe cleaner after a good rinse. You can disconect the hose and hit it with the garden hose, clean out the flame holes with a pipe cleaner and dry. Reconect the hose, relight and readjust to get rid of the yellow. Pretty easy and not too time consuming. Hope this helps get ya going again.
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Rundownhouse
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oven cleaner.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Kindyr
Recipes 

Based on the pic, it would appear that that bolt in the center of the burner holds the burner together and to the frame. I'd unscrew the bolt, pull the middle plate up and clean out anything under it that built up from the boiled over wort.

Then put everything back together and fire it up. Those burners are not complicated. two peices and a bolt holding it together.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yep, what Kindyr said. I used to disassemble mine and clean them with a wire brush periodically and they would operate like new again.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:27 AM   #6
clamflats
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't forget to undo the nuts on the bottom first or you WILL break the bolt. Wire wheel on mini grinder works the best if you don't have a sand blaster.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
starsailor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How do you keep the center bolt threads from siezing up? That whole burner, bolt included, get way hot when in use and because of that the threads on mine seem to rust up pretty quick and sieze up. I haven't had a bad clog yet that really needed a complete disassembly. I've had a couple of mud wasp clogs that would have quickly cleared by taking it apart, but at quick soak in some warm water had the dried mud loose again and out in about a half hour. If I can get it apart at least once I've thought of using a SS bolt instead of the stock steel one. Any suggestions?

Primary: Rye-I-Brew Belgian Rye Saison
Secondary: None
On Deck: Wheat ale
RIP: BadBoy Wit, Wild Cider, Got Mild?x2, Wyeast Cider-2x, SO4 Cider, Wheat ale, Carnival Kölsch-2x, Am Pale Ale, Am Brown Ale, Dunkel Larger, Erik The Red, Newporter, Cream Ale, Bitter, Trapist Triple, Bourbon Oaked Porter, Gluteus Minimus(Gluten Free)-2x, English Brown

Wizards Homebrew Club

Old 02-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
ButcherBoy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Once you get it apart use a little 'anti-seize' on the bolts when reassembling. Available at an auto part store, a little goes a long way and will help the bolts come apart the next time. For the first time try a drop or two of oil on the retaining bolts. DO NOT use oil or anti-seize on the burner jets, just on retainer bolts. Also to clean a jet in place try getting an acetylene torch tip cleaner tool, it is a collection of small hard wires sized properly to poke the crud out of torch tips. Should be available wherever acetylene torches are sold.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't recall ever having much trouble getting things apart even with the corrosion. I think the hardware size IS metric though - something to keep in mind if you do have to replace it...

As was previously stated, a wire brush on a grinder makes quick work of the burner castings cleaning.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
djevans3
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I was able to get it apart, but the top section of the burner was stuck. After a 30 minute soak in some hot PBW water and some leverage with a screw driver I was able to pry to to section of the burner off. Sprayed both pieces down with some over cleaner, waited 45 minutes then rinsed and wiped clean. Worked like a champ again and did my first brew with my new keggle

Quick Reply