Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
I've heard that bleach and chlorine can really screw up the taste if it isn't 100% rinsed out.
It can. I've had a chlorine batch - and its really bad. That said - just make sure you wash it out all the way. I still use bleach for sanitizing - haven't had any further problems, although rinsing is a bit of a pain.
After fermentation I hose out my carboy with hot water & soak 1 scoop of oxyclean in the carboy and top it off. It really only needs to soak for like 15 minutes to rinse perfectly clean.
Actually cleaning the outside with a sponge is a bigger pain that the inside. In extreme cases I gently wipe the inside of the carboy with a brush.
Oxyclean should be fine for plastic too.