Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cleaning/Sanitizing Grolsch type bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 02:00 AM   #1
brewgrl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cleaning/Sanitizing Grolsch type bottles?

Hey, I'm wondering how people wash/sanitize their grolsch-style bottles?

Do you remove the whole cage/top, or leave it on during washing?

Are you careful about not using bleach/chlorine based sanitizers b/c of the metal wire/corrosion factor?

How about the rubber seals on the tops? Are they removed for cleaning and then put back on before sanitizing?

Any thoughts?

I just scored 9 boxes of them for free on craigslist and I want to protect my beer AND my bottles!!

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 03:17 AM   #2
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

If the rubber washer look worn or dried, you can buy new ones at the LHBS. I use Idophor so I don't worry about corosion.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:20 AM   #3
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Definitely replace the rubber seals. I usually take the rubber seals off when cleaning and just soak them in sanitizer

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-01-2008, 03:35 AM   #5
tentacles
Recipes 

On the Grolsch and ez-cap bottles I have, the wire piece appears to be stainless. I clean them with Diversol, and then rinse thoroughly and sanitize with iodophor. Maybe overkill but the diversol really cleans out any haze/crud, since I haven't been able to find a bottle brush that will fit and still reach the sides of the bottle adequately, for cheap. Mostly I keg, and fill the bottles from the keg.

No problems with rust/corrosion, but then again I don't soak the whole bottle in solution. I usually scrub the outside with a dish brush before I do the rest of the cleaning.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
brewgrl
Recipes 

thanks to everyone, that definitely helps! I already got some new seals from the LHS and since I have diversol, I think I'll go with tentacles' advice since some of the bottles are definitely growing things! Iodophor seems like the sanitizer of choice...the no rinsing is definitely attractive....

Old 04-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I had a big plastic tub that I use and fill it with water and bleach for the initial cleaning and submerge all the bottles in this overnight. It gets the nasty stuff growing in the bottles out and does a good job getting the labels off. I use a bottle brush on all the bottles, stick them back in the solution to rinse out the inside and then throw them back in a case so I can rinse them with clean water. It's a one time operation for new bottles.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:26 AM   #8
sidewinder02132
Recipes 

Default Sealing on a Grolsch type

Hi there,
I bottled a case of a trappist ale using a Grolsch type bottles and a case using regular air-tight caps. The air-tight bottles carbonated wonderfully and the ale is darn near as good as what comes across the pond. Meanwhile, I popped open a Grolsch-type bottle and found almost NO carbonation. Opened another bottle, same thing. Any tips that point me in the direction of a solution would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Pablo

"No man moves without dreams, no man excels without motivation." E. Shackleton

Old 05-28-2008, 03:42 AM   #9
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What did you use to carbonate? I notice a difference when I use carb drops. It is because the drops are made for 12 oz. I do not bottle much anymore.

Primary: IPA
Secondary: empty
Keg 1: American Wheat
Keg2: German Ale
Next up: Christmas Old Ale, American Wheat AG, need suggestions

Old 05-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

When I can get a case of Grolsch bottles, I let them sit overnight in a solution of bleach to loosen up the labels and get the gunk out. I haven't noticed any problems with the bails being adversely affected by the bleach.

Burkey Street Brewery

Quick Reply