Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cleaning and Sanitizing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
burns629
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cleaning and Sanitizing

Just curious if anybody else cleans their equipment with a cleanser after using and then before the next batch only sanitizes? Thats what I've been doing lately; cleaning with Straight-A after every use then storing it in a rubbermaid container until its a new brew day and only sanitizing with Idophor before using again. My thought is that everything was cleaned and then went into a clean container so cleaning shouldn't be necessary again, only sanitizing.

I've been doing it this way for about a 12 brews and haven't had any problems. Just wondering if i should be more OCD by cleaning after using - store - clean again - and then sanitize or just stick with the current clean - store - sanitize? Of course i know it wouldn't hurt to throw in another cleaning, but just want to see how everybody else out there does it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Once the item is clean there is no reason to clean it again if its stored in a closed container. I sometimes rinse then sanitize but don't see a need to wash it again.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 11-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I run an Oxi - clean solution through my system using the pumps and re-heat everything during the boil to about 140, then run off down the driveway while filling with fresh rinse water until all the soap is gone. Before brewing I do the same thing.

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I clean once after brewing/bottling. I usually just give it a quick rinse in plain tap water then sanitize. Never had any issues.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Old 11-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is helpful, because I have been cleaing at the end of a brew session and also at the beginning.

I was beginning to wonder if this was a waste of time and cleanser and it seems it is!

Thanks for the question!

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Old 11-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Clean thoroughly, store, sanitize and use. I've always done this, why sanitize it, store it, just to sanitize it again? As long as you do it pre-brewing on brew day you're golden.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
planenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Once the item is clean there is no reason to clean it again if its stored in a closed container. I sometimes rinse then sanitize but don't see a need to wash it again.
+1

You can't leave it grungy after use so you have to clean it then. But I just rinse or if it looks good, just straight into the sanitizer.

For the pre-boil items, (MLT, HLT, etc) I don't even sanitize cause it's gonna boil anyway.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:25 PM   #8
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Its a common theme to 'clean after use, sanitize before using'. A mantra even.

If you indeed cleaned it right the first time, you don't need to re-clean unless its been long enough to get really dusty. (i.e. months between brews)

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-29-2008, 12:57 AM   #9
pixelmonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just pulled off my SS braided hose w/coupler/ball valve/bulkhead setup from my MLT cooler and dismantled it. I cleaned religiously after ever batch, but I can't recall ever taking apart the bulkhead. There was some serious nasty crap in the threading of the nipple and on both o-rings (each side of the bulkhead). This has me wanting to clean this stuff more often, especially since i've upgraded to an all SS setup w/a keggle MLT.

Quick Reply