Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > cleaning pretty clean bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
BPgunny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default cleaning pretty clean bottles

Couldn't think of a better title than that! Anyway, I remove all the labels from my bottles with either PBW or oxiclean so I have a nice collection of label-free bottles.

Once I've re-emptied these bottles (meaning drank my homebrew), I'll usually give them 2-3 thorough rinsings before setting them aside for future use. Since they're already rinsed now, is there any reason to soak them again before I use them to bottle or can I just give them a rinse with a bottle washer and dip them in Starsan?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
homebrew57
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I always just do a good rinsing with hot water after I pour the glass, flip them over in the dishwasher to dry fully then they go back into storage for the next bottling session.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I never do. Immediately after emptying I add a little water shake the piss out of it (twice)
then I sanitize and dry on bottle tree. When I go to fill I sanitize agin.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
MaxStout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 343 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 82

After drinking, I give the bottle 2 rinses and a shake, invert & dry, then put away in a box. On bottling day, I just sanitize it. The Vinator makes that job a snap--best $20 I've spent.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 125

If you're storing them uncovered in a place where dust might build up, it's a good idea to rinse them before sanitizing. Otherwise you can go straight into the star san.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
vNmd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I usually give them a soak in oxiclean twice before starsan and bottling. The first soak removes the labels and anything in the bottle. Since they sit around for several months before I fill them, I usually give them a second quick soak in oxiclean the day before I bottle, then starsan them on bottling day. Probably don't need to but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I keep a little container of oxyclean next to my sink. After drinking each bottle I will rinse immediately then eventually sprinkle in a little bit of oxy and fill the bottle up. After anywhere from 20 minutes to overnight I'll rinse, drain and dry upside down. It takes two seconds to do this to a few bottles. On bottling day I rinse each to make sure there is no dust in it, then sanitize and they're ready to go.

Primary: English Gold
Secondary: 2013 Dark Stock (on oak), Wee Heavy on oak
Bottled: Sir Suspicious Oatmeal Stout, Victorious Brown Ale, Wee Rambunctious Scotch/Belgian Hybrid

Quick Reply