The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cleaning mold inside corny?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
ReverseApacheMaster
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,887
Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Default Cleaning mold inside corny?

I have two corny kegs I use for fermentation. I cleaned and sanitized one after use and I guess some water or starsan got left in the bottom in the little indention in the very bottom and it developed a half ring of green mold/fungus.

I tried soaking in a strong oxiclean solution but so far only some of it has come off. I tried reaching in there with a bottle/carboy brush but I can't seem to get all of it off that way either.

Any suggestions on what I could use to scrub out the mold or what will dissolve it without damaging the keg?

__________________
ReverseApacheMaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
buzzkill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Green Country Oklahoma
Posts: 987
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

guess Im lucky, my arm will fit inside mine. you could drop in a green scrubby and take a long spoon and scrub it that way.

__________________
buzzkill is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Egbert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 51
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Since it is mold, kill it first then take it off then sanitize it again.

Boiling water then vinegar then chlorine then rinse then a warm PBW soak and let it sit there for a day.

Rinse then sanitize. If there is still mold, you didn't do the PBW right. Do it again until it is gone.

Overkill? Yup, but then again it's mold in a stainless fermenter. If you do not get it clean you'll have strange problems in your beer until you get rid of it.

__________________
Egbert is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,231
Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Since it is mold, kill it first then take it off then sanitize it again.

Boiling water then vinegar then chlorine then rinse then a warm PBW soak and let it sit there for a day.

Rinse then sanitize. If there is still mold, you didn't do the PBW right. Do it again until it is gone.

Overkill? Yup, but then again it's mold in a stainless fermenter. If you do not get it clean you'll have strange problems in your beer until you get rid of it.
Just a serious heads up: Do not ever use chlorine (bleach) on Stainless Steel.
This will result in the develoment of pin holes through the SS over time.
How To Brew - Appendix B - Brewing Metallurgy
__________________
P-J is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Egbert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 51
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

30 seconds of chlorine solution is the least of your worries if you've got an infected fermenter.

__________________
Egbert is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,716
Liked 124 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Get a NEW toilet brush with a long handle. (No potty jokes please).

I used one scoop of oxyclean for 3-4 hours (sprayed) and ALL of the gunk inside a 5-year+ old keg was gone.

M_C

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.
Misplaced_Canuck is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,420
Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Bleach for short term use is fine. Restaurants do it all the time in a triple sink sanitation set up. Just take a broom handle or long stick with a cloth or old sock tied on the end and scrub it with some bleach, then rinse.

Bar Keepers Friend might be your best bet.

__________________
samc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
tjp68
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tjp68's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, MO
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
I have two corny kegs I use for fermentation. I cleaned and sanitized one after use and I guess some water or starsan got left in the bottom in the little indention in the very bottom and it developed a half ring of green mold/fungus.

I tried soaking in a strong oxiclean solution but so far only some of it has come off. I tried reaching in there with a bottle/carboy brush but I can't seem to get all of it off that way either.

Any suggestions on what I could use to scrub out the mold or what will dissolve it without damaging the keg?
I personally haven't seen the gunk that boiling water/PBW can't remove from a corny. I would pour boiling water (using an aluminum pitcher...be safe) in, mix some PBW and let it sit.
__________________
tjp68 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
Homercidal
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 22,837
Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Default

Bleach is ok if done quickly. You do NOT want to let it sit there for a while though. And make sure to rinse VERY well. We all know bleach is nasty tasting in beer!

I've kept a small amount of starsan in my kegs lots of time, for months, and have never had a single sign of any fungus. Are you sure you rinsed it out after the last use??

__________________
Homercidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning Used Corny Kegs with gun cleaning brushes? akthor Equipment/Sanitation 8 09-01-2010 12:26 PM
Cleaning the inside of your Keggle Bulls Beers Equipment/Sanitation 17 06-02-2010 05:37 PM
Mold on top of lagering corny keg. How to clean? greenbirds Equipment/Sanitation 10 08-31-2009 05:52 PM
Frig. Mold Cleaning? HenryHill Equipment/Sanitation 2 04-29-2008 05:58 PM
cleaning inside siphon tube idkid Equipment/Sanitation 5 01-31-2007 07:46 PM