Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cleaning glue from bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
bumpnzx3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cleaning glue from bottles

I drink store bought beer about as much as I drink my own beer- 50/50 mix. Most all of the stuff I buy is microbrew stuff- so I always clean and reuse the bottles, rather than buying empty bottles from the HBS (hell- for a little bit more I can buy the bottles full of beer, rather than empty). Usually I rinse the bottles several times when I am done drinking them. The following day (and sometimes just after I rinse them if I am drinking at home) I will soak them in the kitchen sink to get the lables/glue to soften up. Some lables peel off really well and the glue is easy to clean. Other bottles loose their lables really easily, yet leave the multi-glue lines behind and they are really hard to get off. Anyone have any tips to get the glue off? I have half tempted to just not buy the beer that I have a hard time getting their lables off- then again, I really like some of those brews

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 660

I soak the bottles in hotwater/Oxyclean. If the labels come off and leave the glue behind....I have a sponge handy (one with the scour pad on one side). The sponge makes quick work of the glue. Oxyclean is an awesome thing.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
wood173
Recipes 

Samuel Smith's labels come off the cleanest in my experience. Sam Adams put up a small fight. I use really hot water and let them soak for about 30 minutes. The labels come off and I take one of those green scrubbers to get the glue off. A little labor, but not too bad.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
bumpnzx3
Recipes 

I tried the scrubbing method. Schlafly (local St. Louis place) comes off the best- just a little hand rubbing in hot water. I'm no stranger to a scrubbing pad, but I've got a 6 pack now that the glue refuses to leave. I am thinking of just tossing them in the recycle bin. I'm sure some sort of cleaner (brake clean or carb cleaner) that I've got out in my shop would take it off, but I am scared that I would never get all of the chemicals out. I will try to add some oxyclean to the soaking water and see if that softens it up a tad.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:09 AM   #5
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3727 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 3227

Oxiclean takes off 99% of them. I don't use hot water. I have a HD homer bucket sitting outside (always) that I toss bottles into. I keep a stainless steel brillo pad in that bucket. After a day (or two or three) I pull the bottles out, peel the label off, then brillo the bottle clean.

The brillo pad doesn't really do much work. The glue is liquified, it just needs the slightest help. No problem.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:28 AM   #6
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

i know guiness isnt a craft brew but if you can ahold of some bottle you can cut the labels off and use pliers to pull the widget out. my brother drinks guinness by the case and saves the bottles for me. i can get the labels and widgets out of a case in about 10 minutes. right now im sitting on 15 cases, 6 of which have beer and the rest are waiting to be filled.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 01-24-2010, 05:51 AM   #7
jtrainer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Peanut Butter.... Rub it in with your finger and hot water to rinse off. Works like a charm on most of the glues I've encountered thus far.

OnTap: Air

Fermenter: Imp Vanilla Porter, BackAtIt IPA
OnDeck: Happy New Beer

Old 01-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
zimman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

schlafly bottles in hot oxyclean is the best ive found. some scrubbing but very little effort. i go to the recycling center on kingshighway at 44. i think its called sunnyside recycling center but i really dont know for sure. i go there and get all the bottles i could ever want. they are free of course. try it out, you wont be disappointed.

"Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."

David Rains Wallace

Primary:
Secondary:
Kegged:
Bottled:
Kegged Soda:

Old 01-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This will sound crazy but this stuff seems to be a solvent for A LOT of glues and its easy to clean off. Its pure citrus oil air freshener. I used it as a merchandiser to remove labels from beams at big box stores. I have tried it on several bottles that left the glue lines and it works. Its terrible though if you don't like the smell of oranges.

Wayne

Stainless Weldless kits and Flat $5.00 shipping to USA 50 States!
STAINLESS STEEL 3 piece valves $10.95! 2 piece valves $7.99
BargainFittings.com

Old 01-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3727 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 3227

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainFittings View Post
This will sound crazy but this stuff seems to be a solvent for A LOT of glues and its easy to clean off. Its pure citrus oil air freshener. I used it as a merchandiser to remove labels from beams at big box stores. I have tried it on several bottles that left the glue lines and it works. Its terrible though if you don't like the smell of oranges.

I'd be afraid that the oil would eventually get into my beer. Head killer

Quick Reply