Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cleaning a Disgusting Freezer in Preparation for Keezer Project!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #21
luckylindy345
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Power washer? Haha I wish I had even a hose...I just moved into my new rented house at college and just found out yesterday that there is no spigot anywhere outside to hook up a hose. I've been hauling bleach water from the kitchen to the back yard in 5 gallon batches! I won't know if the smell is still there until about 4 o'clock today. I'll let ya know when I find out. On Tuesday, she's gettin her paint stripped on the inside and getting repainted with rustoleum appliance epoxy That should take care of the smell for good I would think. Then I can get down to the real work!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #22
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had a refrigerator in a mountain cabin that vandals cut the power lines for copper, I found out 6 weeks later. Had over 5 hour time cleaning it with every cleaner I can find. The refrigerator had that bad smell in the fiberglass no matter how much cleaning and days cooking in 95 degrees sun on its back. Smelled good and clean when cooled but was nasty when at room temp with the door shut, had to junk it. Yours for "Free" was for a reason, bet the PO is happy it's gone. Sorry to tell you this been there.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 10-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #23
luckylindy345
Recipes 

Yeah we'll see if the smell ever goes away...I'm not giving up that easy. Hope it doesn't turn out that way though, that's for sure!

Old 10-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #24
Shockerengr
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If they lid smells, you can always junk the lid and replace it with foam and plywood.

My Keezer (which i also got for free) had a lid that was falling apart, so we just replaced.

worked out pretty well.

beer 001

Old 10-24-2008, 10:33 PM   #25
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4956 Times on 4522 Posts
Likes Given: 60

If you use the rustoleum.....

Let it cure for like a month before you put any beer in it, seriously (okay, a month is too long, maybe).

I refinished a gas bottle, after 4 days in summer garage temps, I put the bottle in the box with the kegged beer.

Lemme tell ya man, Yummm. The #7555838 - Safety Orange was peppery with just a faint right hook of burnt rubber. The perfect complement to the well fermented 3rd runnings from my "Assume the fetal position Scotch /160" batch.

You realize the last part was a joke, right?

Old 10-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #26
luckylindy345
Recipes 

haha yeah I'll be sure to let it cure for a couple weeks at least! I won't be able to buy kegs for a month or two anyway, so I'm in no hurry.

Thanks for the tip Shockerengr. The lid doesn't seem to be the problem, but if the smell remains after tonight, I'll be willing to try anything!

Old 10-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #27
T-Hops
Recipes 

+1 on the smell going away when it is cool. My freezer still had a faint smell even after cleaning and letting it sit for a long time (1 month +/-). It has no bad odors now.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:40 PM   #28
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Oven cleaner, bleach bath, then some backing soda with lemon juice (anything acidic to get the bubbly). Just be careful how long you let the oven cleaner go if there is a lot of plastic (also be sure the fridges is left open in a well ventilated area).

Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #29
luckylindy345
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRoToRiUm View Post
Oven cleaner, bleach bath, then some backing soda with lemon juice (anything acidic to get the bubbly). Just be careful how long you let the oven cleaner go if there is a lot of plastic (also be sure the fridges is left open in a well ventilated area).
Oven cleaner! I didn't even think of that. I'm gonna hit it with a bunch of stuff this afternoon. It doesn't smell at all when there is bleach or any cleaning solution in the bottom, but after it dries it still smells horrible! It had oxy clean in there over night, we'll see if that helps.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #30
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts

I use oven cleaner to clean anything that is STUPID dirty! That stuff will eat anything. you're supposed to "heat" the surface before use but its not thing really. The other thing you can use is "Scrubbing Bubbles" that is used to clean crazy crap off of your shower floor. That stuff is REALLY powerful too. Good Luck.

+1 on well ventilated

What's tappening? :D

Quick Reply