Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cleaning a Disgusting Freezer in Preparation for Keezer Project!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
luckylindy345
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cleaning a Disgusting Freezer in Preparation for Keezer Project!

Ok, I am extremely excited about my first major homebrewing project. I've been searching craigslist and freecycle for some time now and finally found a very nice, working 20 cu ft chest freezer for FREE! The catch is that there was rotting meat in the bottom of it for about a year (God only knows how this guy left meat in a freezer that was turned off for a year)! The owner said that he cleaned it with soap and water and got all of the solid stuff out of it but it smelled so bad, he couldn't take it anymore and sealed it back up for another year, probably with a small amount of fluid (cleaning solution? meat "juice"?) left in it.

Anyway, I picked it up last night and it is now sitting in my backyard waiting until I get off work to clean it up. Any suggestions for how to go about cleaning this bad boy? I was thinking of scrubbing it down with bleach solution several times and letting it dry in the sun...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
luckylindy345
Recipes 

wow, I missed the sticky up top about cleaning supplies until just now, but I'd still like to hear what you guys (and girls) have to say about this, as this is one of the most disgusting things I've seen in my life! LOL

Old 10-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

You can try a massive soak in "oxyclean free" for a week or so It might help. You can also strip the appliance paint inside, and re-coat with rustoleum appliance epoxy. Once established I would go with using arm and hammer to neutralize any further lingering odors while in use.

Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Old 10-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My mother and step father had something similar happen to them when they got their freezer. From what I remember, my mom used about a gallon of bleach... Baking Soda is also helpful in removing odors if you make a paste with about 1pt baking soda to 3-5 parts water (depending on the consistency you want) It may be easier to take it apart and clean it than to try and clean it as is... of course that depends on if you CAN take it apart and put it back together...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 10-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
luckylindy345
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvinious View Post
You can try a massive soak in "oxyclean free" for a week or so It might help. You can also strip the appliance paint inside, and re-coat with rustoleum appliance epoxy. Once established I would go with using arm and hammer to neutralize any further lingering odors while in use.
Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that I was going to use rustoleum on it after it was all cleaned up also, but I didn't think of stripping the existing paint. That's a great idea.

As far as taking it apart and putting it back together...being able to do that hinges on whether or not the freezer can physically come apart and be put back together. I live in a house with 5 other engineering students who can surely figure it out, if it is feasible!

Looks like I have a whole lot of work ahead of me! It's a labor of love for great beer though!

Last edited by luckylindy345; 10-23-2008 at 12:51 PM.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
GearBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That sounds pretty nasty man. I'd definitely be going at that with a spray bottle of strong bleach solution. Stripping the paint and repainting it isn't a half bad idea, either.

Kyle

Old 10-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
luckylindy345
Recipes 

Do you guys think I should strip the paint before I clean anything if the smell isn't completely horrendous or should I give it a scrub down with bleach first? I was thinking of scrubbing it down with bleach to remove some of the smell so I could work in there, then stripping the paint off. Then I could soak the thing in oxyclean over the weekend and make sure there is absolutely no smell, and finish up with a coat of rustoleum. Is there any problem with leaving oxyclean or bleach solution for a couple days in the freezer without appliance paint?

Old 10-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Call your local PD and see if they have any enzyme cleaner-the stuff to clean up bloody crime scenes. It's not gonna be cheap, but it will work. Bleach will do most of the work, but you'll always still have a bit of funk.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
luckylindy345
Recipes 

hmm I might look into the enzyme cleaner. I can deal with a bit of funk I suppose. Maybe an open box of baking soda in there will help absorb any remaining funk after I have everything up and running.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I dont think the smell can permeate the metal. to some small degree the paint can take on an odor but the real culprit would be anything plastic and or rubber. I would soak the lid most likely the liner is foul smelling and replace the seal. The plastic sorry to say may never smell fresh again ever try to get the pickle smell out of a bucket?

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply