Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cleaning beer lines in kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
yso191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cleaning beer lines in kegerator

Hey,

I have a pressurizing beer line cleaner which works great for sankey connectors. But now that I am homebrewing and using corny kegs, what is the best way to flush/clean the beer lines?

Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I make up a keg of PBW and run it through the line. Rinse water, sanitizer.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
yso191
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
I make up a keg of PBW and run it through the line. Rinse water, sanitizer.
Yeah I was hoping there would be a solution that didn't involve an empty keg. They're all full!

Steve

Old 12-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
sikkingj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Search for DIY beer line cleaner. There is a good thread on how to make a manual pump beer line cleaner (no keg required). I'd post the link but have no clue how to using the iPad app.

-John

Old 12-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by yso191 View Post
Yeah I was hoping there would be a solution that didn't involve an empty keg. They're all full!

Steve
I use the one that just kicked to clean that line/tap. You have to clean it anyway, so why not clean both at the same time? Mix up 1-2 gallons of PBW solution in the keg, give it a nice soak. Then run a quart, or three, through the beer line it vacated. Not only are you cleaning the line out, but also the liquid dip tube in the keg. Rinse the keg out, then put 2-4 quarts of clear water in and run that through the line/tap. Same thing, then with Star San solution. Only coat the inside of the keg with it before running a couple of quarts through the line/tap. Either use the gas feed from that keg, or have another CO2 source to do this.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1230 Times on 995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikkingj View Post
Search for DIY beer line cleaner. There is a good thread on how to make a manual pump beer line cleaner (no keg required). I'd post the link but have no clue how to using the iPad app.
Coincidentally, that long lived thread was awakened today.

I built one and am a big fan. No need to tie up a keg, it doesn't require using up any CO2, it's way easier to deal with on a keezer system than schlepping a cleaning keg in and out, and as it only takes a few ounces of solution to clean out a line, there's little to no waste. It's so easy to use you'll use it often.

Highly recommended. Put the keg to something more useful - like holding another brew...

Cheers!

Old 12-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
gtmaus
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

just picked up the supplies to build one today.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Coincidentally, that long lived thread was awakened today.

I built one and am a big fan. No need to tie up a keg, it doesn't require using up any CO2, it's way easier to deal with on a keezer system than schlepping a cleaning keg in and out, and as it only takes a few ounces of solution to clean out a line, there's little to no waste. It's so easy to use you'll use it often.

Highly recommended. Put the keg to something more useful - like holding another brew...

Cheers!
IMO/IME, not needed. As I posted, I use the keg that JUST kicked to clean the line it was on. So no dedicated hardware is needed. Since you need to clean out that keg anyway, why not kill two birds with one salvo?

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1230 Times on 995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
IMO/IME, not needed. As I posted, I use the keg that JUST kicked to clean the line it was on. So no dedicated hardware is needed. Since you need to clean out that keg anyway, why not kill two birds with one salvo?
Use to do that, and it doesn't really counter the "pros" for a small capacity hand-pumped cleaner. That's why I built the DIY cleaner in the first place.

What happens if you want to clean some lines and all of your kegs have beer in them?

Cheers!

[aside: long day in the big city, I'll be glad to get home tomorrow!]

Old 12-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Use to do that, and it doesn't really counter the "pros" for a small capacity hand-pumped cleaner. That's why I built the DIY cleaner in the first place.

What happens if you want to clean some lines and all of your kegs have beer in them?

Cheers!

[aside: long day in the big city, I'll be glad to get home tomorrow!]
If all my kegs have beer in them, then all my taps are occupied. If not, then I have yet to NOT have an empty keg. I make it a point to always have at least one batch of kegs available at any point. That way, when the batch that's currently in primary is ready, it can be moved to keg. If a line needs to be cleaned, it's because it's just had a keg kick.

Also, since I ferment in adapted sanke kegs, which I always have at least one empty of, I have other ways of pushing cleaning and sanitizing solutions. Since I also use stainless QD's in my brew fridge, I don't remove them from the ends of the hose/line. Unlike the plastic QD's I have to use the nylon/plastic washer/spacer on these. SO, I'd either have to do more to clean the lines without a keg, or have something with a ball lock fitting on it to get the solution to run into. IMO, more work than just using the keg that JUST kicked. Since that one is now empty and needs to be cleaned, it's crazy simple to use it to also clean the lines. It also only uses a tiny amount of CO2 to do this. Since I have several CO2 sources (two for paintball gun tanks, one feeding the brew fridge and another carbonating beer in the basement) it's never an issue for me. The Leland regulator even has the hanging bracket on it, so it's easy to hang on the keg while using it.

For me, the additional hardware of a dedicated line cleaning setup is a waste of funds, time to build and more of a pain than using the keg that just kicked.

Use what you want to clean/sanitize the lines. Just know that there's at least two different (valid) ways to do this. Either use no additional hardware, or get/make a dedicated line cleaner.

BTW, where do you connect the line cleaner to? The ones I've seen require you to remove the faucet in order to clean the lines. With my method, you don't. Plus, you clean the faucets (internally) at the same time.

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply