Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > cleaning aluminum keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
BrewJoeMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default cleaning aluminum keg

Hello. My neighbor gave me an old aluminum keg. It came from the Sicks Brewing Company in Salem, Oregon. That would date the keg to over 40 years old. It holds 15.5 gallons. I want to try to use it for eventual kegging, but dont know how to clean the inside. It has dirt and light oxidation inside. How can I clean it, and what chemicals will remove the oxidation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
medusa1066
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you WANT a passive oxidation layer on aluminum. Caustic cleaners cannot be used.

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Appendix B - Brewing Metallurgy

Old 01-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
LordUlrich
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Are you sure it is aluminum? I can't imagine an aluminum keg standing up to the abuse kegs get for very long.
I would use some pbw and a green scrub pad a d get the whole inside shines, rinse well with water, then boil water in it, that will reform the oxide layer.

Don't take any more faith in anything I say than you would anyone else on the internet. If you listen to what I say, then hurt your self or break something it is your own fault, I am just expressing my opinion or experience.
THINK for your self!!

Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2137 Times on 1529 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

I've seen aluminum kegs. I'd be very careful about how to clean them. I know that you don't want to soak Stainless with Bleach. Aluminum may have it's own no-nos as well.

At any rate, make sure you rinse it VERY well, and encourage an oxide layer on it again. (Oxiclean??)

15.5 gallons is an awful lot of beer. I'd prefer to have a few corneys and have 3 different brews available myself. If it were the right style, I'd probably consider making it into a BK or HLT or something.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
BrewJoeMaster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It is aluminum. I can' t get inside to scrub it, so i will try PBW. maybe oxyclean afterwards. 15.5 is a lot of beer, but if you share, it's not that bad. i am also looking at buying two or three corney kegs. They look easy to clean.

Quick Reply